Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I'm nearly there folks! The cooling system is back together (still missing an engine fan, but that should be sorted later this week), the intercooler and intake piping is on, all the engine bay wiring is done, and the clutch hydraulics are installed and ready to go. I'm almost ready for the maiden voyage! Woohoo!!! :D

Now for the bad news - the clutch won't fully disengage, so I can't get it in gear. I've spent ages bleeding the system to no avail. The pedal feels firm and the clutch fork is definitely moving as I would expect, but apparently it's not moving enough. I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here - any ideas?

I'd also like to know if I'm using the correct master and slave cylinders. The master has a 5/8" bore which I'm pretty sure is correct for a Mk2, and the slave is whatever came with the 2JZ-GE box, which I would assume is the same as any other W58 (although not 100% certain). Does anyone know the bore of a Mk2 slave cylinder?

Any help appreciated... I'm itching to get this car on the road!

·
Super Moderator
8,363 Posts
Now for the bad news - the clutch won't fully disengage, so I can't get it in gear. I've spent ages bleeding the system to no avail. The pedal feels firm and the clutch fork is definitely moving as I would expect, but apparently it's not moving enough. I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here - any ideas?
Do you have the clutch plate installed in the correct direction? I've heard of this problem with this being the cause. I assume the throwout bearing and fork moves smoothly? That the only thing I can think of, HTH. Good Luck!!!! :turn-l:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I thought Havier had a similar problem with his 2jz conversion. He talked about it on the supraforums, see if you can dig up that post maybe. I have the means to get ahold of him if you need to talk to him too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SilverMk2: I'm almost certain I put it in the right way. I've done it a few times before so I'd like to think I know how to do it properly by now, and it all bolted up easily and smoothly which would suggest it's in OK. Having said that, there's no guarantee without pulling the box out again and having a look! I really want to avoid that if possible though.

Suprafiend: I found the thread you were talking about... it seems he was using a mish-mash of Mk2 and Mk4 parts which caused problems. I'm using all Mk4 parts though so I obviously have a different problem. Here's a quote from the thread:
ive had a bit of problems with getting it into first gear. i came to the conclution that i have to upgrade to a 95 non turbo fork, fork support, release bearing, and slave cylinder. i was currently using my stock 83 parts. STUPID!!!! i should have done that while the engine was out. anyway so thats my next thing i have to do then i will be able to drive it again. in the beginig it was impossible to get it into gear at dead stop, but then i did some adjustments and with alot of strugle i was able to get it into gear.
then about 1 week of driving the car it was getting harder and harder to get into gear again. so i stopped driving it. ok ok you guys are all wondering why is it so hard, i have a dual diaphram preasure plate....... i was also blowing the hoses of the turbo pipping. so i had to spend a little more money and buy some good stuff and bead the pipping itself. ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Anyway it's obvious my slave cylinder doesn't have enough throw, so I'm going to try and fix that by having the slave cylinder re-sleeved 1/8" smaller. Hopefully that will solve the problem... fingers crossed! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
is the mk4 slave bigger than mk2?

also im thinking theoretically here. if the flywheel is further away from the gearbox, say if you machined the flywheel friction surface or used a longer bellhousing/clutch fork, the fork has to travel farther to disengage the clutch :?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I compared the Mk4 slave to the old Mk2 slave I had lying around, and they're the same bore. As a desperate last measure I tried lengthening the pushrod on the slave so it takes up more of the freeplay in the clutch fork, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Oh well there's no avoiding it now, I have to get a smaller slave cylinder! Hopefully I'll get time to do this tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
oops other way round (if mk4 had bigger slave then a mk2 would have more travel) :oops:

another idea... does the mk4 have a bigger clutch master cylinder bore :?: making the mk2 master inadequate? throwing dust into wind now

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't seem to find the factory specs for the Mk4 master cylinder... if anyone knows I'd sure like to hear it!

Anyway I installed a smaller slave cylinder today, and while it helped it didn't solve the problem. :( I can actually jam it into gear with enough force, so I took it for a quick blat to the end of the street and back. Woohoo, I drove the 2JZ!! It was only for 30 seconds or so, but it felt very quick even which I just leaned on the throttle a little bit.

Interestingly, the clutch makes an awful noise when the clutch pedal is all the way in and the car is stationary in gear - it sounds exactly like a very bad bearing. The noise goes away as soon as the clutch is engaged, which suggests a dud spigot bearing. This makes me wonder if it is the source of my problems and not the clutch itself! I'm going to have to change it anyway, which means dropping the gearbox... again. :( D'OH!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Have you pulled the tranny to see if something's screwed up with the clutch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
release/thrust bearing spins when clutch pedal pressed also

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
AE25? Did you throw an A-series motor into an _old_ school Corolla?
My dad still has an old TE31 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old school Toyota + turbo = good. :) Once I have the Supra fully sorted I'm going to take my RA23 off the road and install that turbo I've got lying around... I'm hoping for about 250hp from that sucker. Fun! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
18rgte styles
sounds like fun :D

what u think of this setup? :twisted:
3tgteu running 20v quad throttles with gti-r sr20det style intake plenum, forged pistons, crank angle sensor off side of head, quad coils (8 spark), programmable ecu, custom turbo exhaust manifold, garret t3/t4 bb turbo, fr mount evo4 size intercooler. like toms te27 setup but improved
going off topic here, please forgive :cry:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Make sure you update your site norb =] I'm really into your swap! take pics of it driving a such too :p

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics and vids are on the way... just have to wait for friends to send them to me. :)

Unfortunately I didn't get a vid of me walking away from a TT 6-speed Mk4 on the highway last night... that was SO sweet. :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Norbie said:
Unfortunately I didn't get a vid of me walking away from a TT 6-speed Mk4 on the highway last night... that was SO sweet. :D
Nice. :)

Stock for stock you're going to wipe the floor with any Supra. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats Norbie. Can't wait to see the vids and butt kicking your Supra will be doing!

I say we kidnap Norbie and force him to put 2js in ALL our Supras!! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts