Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
RedP85 said:
Best as a winter project, when you are not in need of the car.
true dat,

The more time spent, the better quality the final product is. Also, if you rush it and have a strict deadline, it becomes no longer fun but a chore.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Damn. Wish my wheels looked that good so what do you think is the estimated time that you spent sanding those things and polishing them.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks guys!

BBSupramk2 said:
Damn. Wish my wheels looked that good so what do you think is the estimated time that you spent sanding those things and polishing them.
I'd say about 80 hours. only do a couple hours a day and then you need a break, the hands can't take it.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Tire Shredder said:
I'd say about 80 hours.
You probably have a finer finish than mine, as I would estimate 40-50 hours I spend for mines. Winter nights !

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Couple times of having to start all over again from mistakes in sanding and a contaminated buffing wheel once.

The best way to gauge it is 4 hours per sanding stage. Add in one or two for polishing, probably about 3 for cleaning initially (all each) (I did the backs so that's more time there...) and the masking and painting soaks some more up aswell. Thank god for winter!

Eventually determined excitment turns into determined pain and suffering. I recall bribing friends to sand for me - it didn't work.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great job,Steve
I have my students working on my rims for our Supra projects at Hagersville SS. If they turn out any thing close to these I will be ecstatic. Can u email some of your eng pics. Only a few of the pics you posted showed up for me.
Thanks Rob M

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Sure Rob, I'll send a few. Just give me your e-mail adress (via PM if you dont' want it on the forum). I did this when I was in grade 12 and I had never done any polishing before. They can do it just the same as I can...patience and a lot of time is all you need.

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
hss techteacher said:
Great job,Steve
I have my students working on my rims for our Supra projects at Hagersville SS. If they turn out any thing close to these I will be ecstatic. Can u email some of your eng pics. Only a few of the pics you posted showed up for me.
Thanks Rob M
Hey Rob...welcome aboard bro...you sure found the right guy for detailing/polishing/blingout out your students ride...this kid knows his stuff.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for updating thread! I now have a spare set of rims I will be working on this summer once I get into my new house.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
combination of nasty wheel cleaner not safe for clearcoat, oven cleaner, paint stripper and steel wool.

nothing worked well.

in the end, I am pretty sure it was just the abrassion of the steel wool that got it off, with a little help from the wheel cleaner.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts