Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally gotten started on the blue 85. Pulled the engine this afternoon. I will post notes and pics throughout the project as time allows. If anyone wants pics of anything specific as I tear the car down, lemme know and I'll put it on my list but project may take a year so I may not get to it right away.

http://www.geocities.com/pduple1/Bluepra.html

and of course my home page

http://home.swbell.net/pdupler/

Phil D.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supra Bob said:
So what is your eventual goal for the Blupra?

Also, the page you link to is down...
Sorry bout the temporary block on the page. Thats geoshitys for you. I can't find anywhere on their site that says exactly what the throughput limit is, only stuff about upgrading to premium service if it is exceeded. Just try it again later.

Goal is just to rescue another Supra, make it look good, run good, etc. plus to practice my restoration skills before I start on my ultimate trailer queen show supra!

Phil D.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well ,Phill I gotta hand it to you, Your Supra world is amazing, I dont know what to say, I think its great that you are doing this, and you must be gaining an enormous amount of experience, hopefully I will have the oportunity one day of seeing your Supra-kingdome or viewing one of the shows, once you finish your projects.
keep us posted. 8)

·
Registered
310 Posts
pdupler
I envy your garage its gorges. Your garage is like heaven to me. I love working on mk2 supras so far I have overhauled five mk2 supras with zank and I have two more to come. As 4 your blupra project good luck, lord knows it’s hell when one encounters unforeseen problem, that’s why prepare for the worst. I guess im a hopeless optimist. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bluepra looks bloodt beautiful. Nice find and nice work - well done!

Just one question - that auto shifter looks different to the T-bars common in Oz and on XX's. The blue matches the interior too. Is it stock or an aftermarket shifter? Have we found another difference between US and world market Mk2's or has someone colour-coded an after-market add-on? Just curious, really.

Well done Phil,

- Justin
JZA-61 still in production

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
cool pics man. I love your garage 8)
:multi: Its alwyas good to hear when another mk2 gets saved :wink:
Good luck on that Blupra project

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Justin,

This is the Auto shifter that Toyota switched to, for the LHD vehicles, starting in the 84 model year. It's not aftermarket, thus the reason why it matches the rest of the interior. Toyota was still using the older T-handle design on the MKI's & the 82 - 83 MKII's. I believe Toyota started using the newer Auto shifter handles for RHD's starting on the MKIII's (at least from what pictures I've seen in my HyperRev Magazines). But yes, at least on the 84 - 85 RHD's, it was the old T-handle (at least from my 85 Celica XX Brochure).

They used this design on the LHD vehicles as a "convenience" design. Stick your right hand out, hold your thumb out to the 10:00 position, then move it down to the 8:00 - 7:00 position. This is where they put the Overdrive lockout button. Very nice ergonomic design. I wish they had done this earlier on at LEAST the 80 & 81 MKI's (O/D lockout is a knob on the lower left side of the dashboard & away from the shifter. And it's hard to see behind the steering wheel spoke).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Great to see you are saving another one Phil! It definitely looks too nice to part out. That motor looks very clean, it even has a nice finish on the valve covers (or did you redo those already?)

You say it has a slight knock in the bottom end... Is it possible that what you were hearing was due to the harmonic balancer being out of balance? (I like that last picture showing that chunk missing.)

Good luck on the restoration!

By the way, it looks like I'll be getting Supra number 4 this week.... MSS!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ahh, the great OD off button. Yep, I use it alot. Very convienent for downshifting without having to look for the button. I'll give toyota credit for that one.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Sweet

Hey Phil - great pix!

It warms my heart to see somebody else saving these old gems!

Perhaps you'll suffer the same affliction as me... that is finding it too difficult to part with the finished product, as I do.

Keep up the good work, and keep the photos coming!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Holy crap that garage is nice. That really makes me hate working in the parking lot of my apartment complex even more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
pdupler, did you ever handle the problems with heat soak on your silver car's ignition?
If not, let me tell you what I first thought when I read your nice write-up a year and a half ago: Why not move the battery to the trunk and fabricate a nice housing for the ignition modules on the battery tray, with small ducts coming from outside for air circulation?

Just a thought. Frickin' Sweet 6M you have there, you are one of the MkII Gods. :)

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, movin the battery was considered but I was really wanting to keep everything about the car looking as if it had come from the factory that way. I've pretty much decided not to mess with this car anymore for a while because I'm so limited in how much power I can make without risk of grenading a $3000 motor. As is I can drive a couple of hours before the MSD craps out from heat soak so I can have a little fun with it around town and whatnot. At some point in the future I want to buy a complete programmable ECU setup so I can drive some adequate injectors and that will take care of timing as well.

Phil D.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Phil, try this. Its something I've been thinking of doing for awhile too for other reasons but I recently saw an IS300 built by Reg Reimer and he did it with great results. Relocate the battery to where the windshield resvoir is, then mount your ignition system where the battery was. The resvoir could probably be relocated to somewhere in the bumper. The 82\83 resvoirs are smaller then the later ones. Reg fabed up a little heat shield from some sheet metal to go around the battery to protect it from the hot side of the engine. I have pics of this if you'd like me to post them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i for one would love to see pics of that, please do post them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: Wow

Nice to see an enthusiast take his passion one step further and try to revive another sweet car, good job Phil. BTW, wicked garage, damn I'm envious.

Sonny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts