Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after looking at all those build threads, I decided it was time to post more of mine.

Start date, june 2001 when I got what is my 3rd mkII, a 1985 SDR wich i`m the 3rd owner. Had 210 000 kms on it and had a solid shell but a fading paint all for the amount of $2100.

I drove it around for 3 years and was enjoying it all.
In feb of 2004, I left for Australia where I live for 6 months and left the supra to sleep until I could afford to spend on it again wich was in spring of 2005.
At that point, I had a head gasket job done and full tune-up wich got the car in great mechanical order.

But the esthetics where really bugging me down so 2 weeks after the engine job was finished, I dismantled the car to the shell:

was some real nice rust holes to fix.
Now in may I finally had enough money to go live on my own again (I was so broke from my trip to Oz, I had to go back to my mom's place), I left and took an appartment with my best buddy. By doing that, I left the supra 100 kms away... no work progress would come for months, but at least I was buying parts by the load.
Finally in november of 2005, I found someone to finalize the body work , install the infamous erebuni kit and paint the car:

and in march of 2006 it looked like this:

Car was ready for me to put the engine back...but I had other plans...
I bought a 7mgte engine and tons of parts to go with it:

It`s funny because the 7M never even got a chance before I changed my mind and when for the 1jz-gte.
So I sold all my 7M parts and engulfed my money into all the 1J fun:

So while all the 1J stuff was happening, I installed the parts I had been collecting over the last year:
whiteline sways, RR 3' cat-back exhaust, TSC rear bar, cusco and later LJM bar, Fast forward 15' wheels.... and the list go on.

The months passed and progress was made.
Finally in august 2007 the car was finished:

It was just awesome!!!
But it would not last... in september, the car overheated and the head of the 1J would tweek. It was a blow to the stomach but at this point, I could not let it drop, so I bought another 1J from a jdm importer and dropped it in, hooked it up and BAM, in october it was back alive...but too late for me to drive it for the year.

In spring of 2008, It was time to fix some outstanding issues, the Griffin rad and fan shroud went in, so did the K-sport suspension:

Some tuning was completed and I was on the road for summer... so I thaught!
More issues came to haunt me for some months until all was fixed but in august I was back with a vengeance!
2009 was a great year for me, the car was riding great and I finally attended the long missed supra meets:
spring meet at Damon's

Montreal meet:

with a dyno event...finally some numbers!

and Toronto meet!

I drove it all summer cranking the odometer to 265 000 kms (20 000 for that summer alone!)
Fall arrived and upgrade time started:
small bender to fix:

new wheels got in: Rota P45-R 17x9 +12 (5mm spacer added) and 17x9.5 +12 (7mm spacer added)

all turbo piping sent to powder coating:

New 264 crower cams are going in with 560cc injectors, turbo boost controller and a boost guage are in the process. Raptor Racing BBK front and back are ordered and next to be installed.
The soon to be closed-in sun-roof:

and some surprises:

I'll have to figure out how to fix this leak...

So this build is still in progress and I will update the thread as it goes on.

new boost controller

and some toyota parts (e-brake pads, door hinge, rad cap and a gasket) thanks Mark for the oem parts!

Installed the new e-brake pads

Got my pipes back from powder coating, time to install some with my new gaskets!

later,

later still,

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow!, awesome work and excellent post. Thanks for putting this up. Great to see your project.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yeeeeesssssss.... Awesome post. Build it, drive it, and repeat. That is an amazing paint color choice with the body kit. And the bronze Rota's are going to really pop in the sunlight.

I like your style. I bet you're going to get some serious smile-miles in this summer. :woot:

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
You were my first buddy in the Supra club and I took your build as an inspirational start for my own! Your a great guy Nic, anytime I needed something you were the first to offer! And I'm so glad that its all worked out for you!

Awesome build thread!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Are those K-sport rear coil-over setup still available? Nice build, love the progress pics. I wanna see pics with the tires mounted on those Rotas.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Following the progress from 1st post:

New wheels(Rota P45R), cams(brian crower 264), adjustable pullies, powder coated pipes

BBK parts and some trim/finish

The paint job is DONE!

I'm very happy about the results!!

Thanks for the comments, its always fun to have some feedback!

As far as the rear coil-overs, they are available from distributers, they are actually made for the AE86 but will bolt right up. They will provide a nice drop.

The sunroof...well one of the reasons is headspace, but mostly because it's been a constant source of irritation for me. It always leaked and never closed without needing some persuasion... it's time for it to go.

you bet I'll drive the hell out of this car!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nic, it's an awesome car and you are a great guy! Thanks for sharing and I'll never forget that night coming back from the MD drags!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Cee-Jay!
Yeah I remember that night very well lol! We did find a way not to fall asleep while driving didnt we?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very Nice build...great inspiration for the body work I'm starting on this summer

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
She's come a long way St. Nic ,,,great job man ! It's an awesome MKII and looks even better in person. Hope we meet up again in 2010 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
very nice
i am interest by the rear erebuni lip ,do you know if they fit euro specs(our bumper are smaller than USDM)
and if they are still available where could i find one?
im pretty sure that rear apron would have to be cut and modified to fit a euro rear bumper....and erebuni is no longer available, unless you can find a good used one.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re spray you say.... same color or different?

I think Ill end up buying p45s now after seeing them on your car. Looks killer!

Not a huge fan on the grille or body kit, but thats me, stock body with maroon/gold rims I think would look sweet.

Great build!

·
Registered
456 Posts
great looking car!
I love the process that went on here, and how you never gave up on her. I would have sold it off as soon as i move away from where it was kept!

How are the rear shock holders hadeling the stress of the k-sports?
Little worried about all that stress and strin being put where it was never designed to go....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bruce, my friend, yes I do hope to meet again this year, it would be grand!

Guido: yeah I was somewhat surprised to see the kit is no onger available...I never checked since I bought mine...5 years ago.

Supra EV: I'm keeping the same color, I really like it plus it really doesnt get the attention of cops, I never got pulled with this color so far :p

the ghoul:
thanks for the words! As for the K-sports...I have mentionned it a couple times now but after now 2 full year on the car and hard driven on our awfull roads... it holds up like a charm. Its set a very quite stiff setting and gives me no squat at all on launch. If the towers are in good shape all is well!

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I've always admired your car, great work and dedication! I like your new wheel choice. Have you ever considered tinting the front corner lights? That would really set off that custom extended grill!

One more question: how exactly did you manage to mount both the early wing/sunshade and the newer spoiler like that? I mean, I know it bolts on, but you managed to use the WHOLE 85 hatch surround, with what looks like the sunshade going THROUGH it? I'd like to eventually do it to my black Supra, but don't want to expose the 4 holes over the top of the rear window. Thank you for any insight. :) I'll be watching this thread as your car develops/evolves.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan,
Thanks for the comments!
Tinting the corners... maybe I'll try it on a extra set eventually. I'm really on the edge with the car between staying modified with style and becoming rice... I don't want to cross that line, so every mod now I really take my time to visualise and decide.

For the hatch, it was a bit of work. Like you noticed, I used the 85 as a base and added the 84 over. Difference is that I had to modify the 85 to make it happen, I had to take the upper wing off. When you do take the upper wing off, you notice that its a hollow space with some holes to bolt the wing.... I had to fill it all up and fiberglass it to make it look good.
Afterwards, I located the best position for the 84 wing, drilled holes and bolted it up using the reinforcement brackets from the 84 wing on each side to help with solidity. I did gring down the bolts on the 84 so it would fit under the 85 wing. Then paint it up and it's a bolt-on swap. I wish I had pictures of the the process but I did this before I had a dig cam...sometime in 2001. All that and I only installed it in 2007 on the car!

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
daang, your car is awesome! very excellent job! lovin the new rims, very jelous lol,

1 - 20 of 142 Posts