Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up gang...? i have been searching for proper hood props. are they available anywhere? the ball joint at the hood end and then the bolt anchors the "factory" eyelet end to the inside of the fender...can't find them anywhere. thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
Did you look on rockauto? They list a Monroe for $13.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
I use these people,but their site is GOOFY.

They also honored their lifetime warranty.

For the hatch,get the IS 300 ones.MEASURE,first.

·
Founding Member
6,259 Posts
Just a little tip. I go to car shows frequently and have seen all manner of makeshift hood props. My original struts still work fine inside the garage, but are a little weak. I don't want the wind blowing my hood down on some unsuspecting car show spectator's noggin so I came up with a solution. At most hardware/home stores in the plumbing section they sell 1/2" x 24" rigid black plastic tubing in the irrigation supplies section for less than a couple of bucks. It cuts easily with a utility knife, but is still pretty stiff. Cut a piece the length of the exposed chrome rod, then cut a slit all the way down one side of the tube, then cut a v-shaped notch at each end of the slit. Now you can slide the tube over the chrome rod, it will act as a hood support and be totally stealth. I've been doing that for decades now and have yet to have anyone notice it. Works on Supras, Jaguars, you name it. Now my secret is out.

·
Premium Member
5,513 Posts
YES,PHIL! Good extreme low-budget fit for lazy hood/hatch struts...18 CENTS fix. They get tired in the cold weather.
It will never be good to have a fellow enthusiast get their head whacked.Mine is more important.;)

The hatch draws a lot more blood and I found that the IS 300 HATCH struts are good for an extra 3 " of head clearance,for the 6 footers.
You MUST measure the length B-4 you commit to these.They also ask if you have a rear wiper.I do and they are KILLER.

In the last meet and greet,I have demonstrated this upgrade.
Gamble,are you listening? He drove my car to the Supra meet in Vancouver,Washington and he doesn't fit in my little Supra,unless the seat back was WAY back. Gansta style.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up a pair for my 1982 on Amazon. My birthday is the 16th so the wife has them until then. I will let you know how they work for me and will provide a link if they are worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts