Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and sorry if this is a dumb question. I've noticed sooooo many people having soooo many different things to say about a basic oil change. I was always under the impression that you drain the oil, replace the filter, hand tighten it, dump in the appropriate amount of fresh oil, start it, check for leaks, and move on with life lol. I believe it takes 5.4 litres of oil and I'm going to stick with 10w30. Okay so because I'm new at the Supra game...can someone tell me if there is a specific way to do it on 82 supras? I've even heard from someone that you need to put a specific amount in it or else you will damage the engine when cornering lol??
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Actually, our engines will tolerate a little over full. The crankshaft is far away from the oil level, normally.
To drain the oil fully, I run only the driver's tire up on a ramp. That tilts the engine a little to allow the drain plug to fully evacuate the oil. Drain plug is on the passenger side.

If my engine is COLD, most of the oil drains out of the oil filter, so I seldom change it.10W-30 is fine.
I measure what I take out and put that amount back in. I recycle the old oil at the curb for pick up, every other week. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, our engines will tolerate a little over full. The crankshaft is far away from the oil level, normally.
To drain the oil fully, I run only the driver's tire up on a ramp. That tilts the engine a little to allow the drain plug to fully evacuate the oil. Drain plug is on the passenger side.

If my engine is COLD, most of the oil drains out of the oil filter, so I seldom change it.10W-30 is fine.
I measure what I take out and put that amount back in. I recycle the old oil at the curb for pick up, every other week. ;)
Thanks so much for the tip...I never would of thought of lifting the driver side to drain.
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the tip...I never would of thought of lifting the driver side to drain.
Thanks.

btw is the filter difficult to replace?

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
Not at all! Hard to SEE all of it, under the exhaust manifold, that's all. Sometimes, it REALLY tight.
I use a real oil filter wrench down there. Not much room for giant Channel locks.
If the engine is warm, you will dribble a little oil down the side of the block.
I like to fill the oil filter with little new oil B-4 installing, but I usually make a mess. Cardboard below keeps the driveway cleaner.
Add oil to the OUTSIDE little holes B-4 installation.

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
I always put in just under the capacity, then start adding a little at a time and checking the dipstick till I get it adjusted to the top of the mark.

My city has a drive-thru environmental hazardous waste collection center only a few miles away. I tend to save up my fluids till I have five or so gallons, maybe some batteries and old paint cans too and then make a trip in the pickup truck. But isn't it a law here in the states that whereever you bought your new oil is supposed to have facilities to collect the used oil so you can return it?

Reactions: ddd228

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I always put in just under the capacity, then start adding a little at a time and checking the dipstick till I get it adjusted to the top of the mark.

My city has a drive-thru environmental hazardous waste collection center only a few miles away. I tend to save up my fluids till I have five or so gallons, maybe some batteries and old paint cans too and then make a trip in the pickup truck. But isn't it a law here in the states that whereever you bought your new oil is supposed to have facilities to collect the used oil so you can return it?

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
In my Seattle city, my curb pick up for recycle is functional. They TAKE old and used oil, as long as it is ******as such. OK, labeled.
Yes, My city has hasardes hjasardous waste OK, YOU SPELL IT! As a pick up on a 2 week pick up schedule.
What was the question?
Every city has their own ordandeces. OK, rules. ordinance .. Texas?

·
Registered
79 Posts
One thing I always do... warm up the engine. Draining the oil while it's hot keeps all the stuff suspended in it instead of letting it settle wherever in the engine...

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
Most oil changers businesses in Kalifornia have to take used oil...The State used to pay you to recycle used oil then some proposition messed that up...

·
Registered
22 Posts
"One thing I always do... warm up the engine. Draining the oil while it's hot keeps all the stuff suspended in it instead of letting it settle wherever in the engine..."
Hmm, that's actually a smart thing to do. I'll keep that in mind the next time I'll drain the oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts