Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one do you gusy think is better an auto or 5spd for th 7mgte swap. does anyone on the list have an auto 7mgte. are there any major cost differences?

jeremy

·
Registered
154 Posts
That really depends on how good you are with standard. But even if you aren't any good I would still get the 5spd. cause its way more fun and you can pretend you are in a rally on the way home from work :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dude trust me and go with the 5 speed. Auto's straight suck for every car especially a turbo car. Unless you are puttng out massives amounts of power and have a built tranny with a high stall..etc there is no way ANY auto can comete or ever be nearly as fun as a 5 speed. Lag with an auto is much more apparent and they are just no fun at all.

If you are talking about strength wise I really dont know abotu the supra trannies, but i imagine they are both very strong (R154 and the auto...). but control over boost response, when you want to shift becomes so much more important IMO when dealing with a turbo car...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
MKIIBeater said:
Dude trust me and go with the 5 speed. Auto's straight suck for every car especially a turbo car. Unless you are puttng out massives amounts of power and have a built tranny with a high stall..etc there is no way ANY auto can comete or ever be nearly as fun as a 5 speed. Lag with an auto is much more apparent and they are just no fun at all.

If you are talking about strength wise I really dont know abotu the supra trannies, but i imagine they are both very strong (R154 and the auto...). but control over boost response, when you want to shift becomes so much more important IMO when dealing with a turbo car...

Lag with an auto is NON-EXISTANT :!: :!: :!: Actualy,if you can get the trans to take it,the auto is just as much fun to drive.Don C.,and myself built one for a local guy last year.That car was a blast to drive,enough so,that we are both looking for "the right" auto car to convert.
Imagine,a cup of coffee in one hand,the steering wheel in the other,beating up on ricers on your leisurely drive to work 8)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I dont know what that means. Ive been in quite a few auto turbo cars and found them to be much more laggy simply do to the fact that the gears are longer. As I said in my post if the trans is built right it can be just as quick, but in stock form there is just no way... not to mention how shitty it is not having the control of yoru rev's at all time. Im a track racer and absolutely hate auto's :mad:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I agree on the RPM issue,but driven correctly,the auto is just fine.As for boost,for the most part,a 5spd will loose more spool between shifts,than an auto,depending on the driver of course.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are going to take on the 7M then I would suggest that you start with the auto if that is what you have. My theory is to take on one project at a time. Otherwise you will end up with the monster project and won't have any fun. :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there lies the problem.... I have 2 86's one 5spd and one auto. just wanted to know which one to do first. is one any eaiser than the other? do those of you with 7mgte's have A/C?

jeremy

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Jeremy,

On the 7M-GTE conversions that Don C & Shawn P are doing, they do have functioning A/C. Custom hose lines that run from the compressor are part of the $$$ package.

The conversions that Jeff Tamulis is offering does not include functioning A/C (I asked).

As for others that have done their own "self" conversions, it will vary if they have A/C.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Auto's have one MAJOR bonus over sticks when talking turbos... "Stall Speed" A properly selected torque converter with the right stall speed will eliminate any lag when your launching.

NOw..that being said, of the two, I agree the stick is much more fun to drive, and give better control over engine powerband and the like.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have never driven automatic untill this new supra that I now have.
I really love the automatic feel, so nice for trafic and now when Iam on a red light, it seems to shift much faster than my other 3 5sp that i owned.
The Overdrive button is awsome, I save more gas than my 5sp and when the auto is in 3rd gear push the (OD) it feels like a slingshot, much faster than my mint 5sp.
Not that I dont know how to shift, I do! at my former work I drove it all
(Lambo Countach, 355, Esprit,DB7,911turbo,933,Box ect,all Bmw,Viper, Benz ect... I mean all & have pictures too)the only car I most wanted to drive and never could was the MKIV).. the point is auto feels good.
Now 5sp would let my rpm go up all the way, but after 4000 I felt no dif
I always felt that it needed a 6sp.
Anyways go for auto-7M you will love it.
My 2cents...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh oh, now what am I gonna do :shock:
Seems all the sites covering the swap have no info for keeping the auto, so I went and picked up a 5sp ( thanks bluedevil ).
Thanks Shawn for the input. I do like std's but drive so much in Toronto traffic that the auto just makes sense. Also love the passing gear engagement when you tromp it. Any specific torque (stall) converter that I should be thinking about ? I'm not intending to squeeze every available hp out of the 7mgte so would the oe toy be sufficiient ??
Thanks
DJ

·
Registered
733 Posts
A/C no problemo

I am in process of having a 7MGTE conversion done. Functioning A/C is not a problem. You can use the 7M compressor and just cut and splice the hoses or have them made. An option I am pursuing is to use a different clutch and keep the 5M compressor.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If you keep it basically stock,the stock converter works fine.Very entertaining to drive.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Toyota actually made two stall speeds on Supra Converters-2400 and 2800-High stall has green dot paint code on TC-low stall is any other color or combo of colors-USE THE LOW STALL-7mgte makes enough torque to transform slushomatic into nice driver!-Mike P

·
Registered
96 Posts
automatics Suck!

the worst thing you can do to your mkII.5(or any car forthat matter) is the auto matic trans. the constant low rpm of normal every day driving will kill the motor, toyotas are meant to be high reved, it keeps the motor running well for its entire life, trust me i know, my girlfriend has an 84 p-type auto and it sucks a%$ its so gutless i'm ashamed of it, it cant even beat a civic, pathetic i tell you. However my 82 5spd kicks a%$ no problems with it all, i have it torn apart and my cams have flat spots, but it can still kick it 8)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks for the input Shawn and Mike. Now I can look forward to even more sleepless nights as I toss and turn. Guess I'll decide when I get everything freshened up and ready for re-install. The donor is a stick and lotsa fun but I like what Shawn was saying bout being able to hold onto a cup of coffee and still thrash the rice. Maybe I'll keep an empty Starbucks cup handy to hold up to my lips during stop light launches :lol: he he he
DJ

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
I work for a tranny parts wholesaler in the Wired City(Tacoma, Wa) Let me know if you need any help/parts when you get goin-Should hard mount that starbucks cup to dash-so coffee never spills as you cruise around and everybody sees coffee cup from behind! :twisted: -Mike P

1 - 19 of 19 Posts