Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

121 - 140 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Impact wrench and typically a 24mm socket and just hold the pulley in your hand. If not, bring it over here and I can do it for you since I have done more than enough alternator rebuilds/swaps.
Sweet, thanks. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would be. It is nice to know if need be I can bring it over, thanks!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does anyone know the exact part number for the 92 Camry alternator that has the round plug we need. I ask because there are two part numbers listed for that year and engine, I am assuming one has a different plug and want to get the right one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Does anyone know the exact part number for the 92 Camry alternator that has the round plug we need. I ask because there are two part numbers listed for that year and engine, I am assuming one has a different plug and want to get the right one. Thanks in advance.
Get the one that's for the 3VZFE engine. 1992 Camry's had two different engines depending on the model. That's why I said it would be easier to ask for an alternator for a Lexus ES300 instead because those only came with 3VZFE engine and the part number should be the same with the Camry alternator that uses the same engine as the ES300.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The problem is, 2 different alternators come up for that engine on that year of Camry. But i will cross reference the lexus I guess.

EDIT: The correct part number for the alternator with the round plug from the 92 Camry with the 3VZFE V6 is 27060-62070-84

EDIT: I went to my local alternator shop and they got a 7 rib pulley with a 17m hole for me, much to my disbelief. It was 10 bucks mounted and out the door, so I said do it. I got home, put the alternator on and it fit like a dream and works just as well. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anyone ever try the 130A 3G alternator from a 90's Taurus 3.8l? IIRC, the mounts look about the same, but youd have to do some splicing.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Anyone ever try the 130A 3G alternator from a 90's Taurus 3.8l? IIRC, the mounts look about the same, but youd have to do some splicing.
From what I have read, it an unreliable POS. A few 4x4 guys tried it before going over to the CS144.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bet he is the same one that PMd me. I have no idea why he wants to go with the 90a alt when the 140a is just as easy to find and less work since he would have to change out some things to run the wider belt system.
SO, as far as the swap goes, do you have problems with the charge light? Or would running the 140A on my '83 work without a hitch? Hell, I'ma be up in Lakewood pretty soon.

Exactly which cars can I pull the 140A from? Maybe I'm blind, but I didnt see the list on your other post.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Charge light is not an issue as long as you hook up the 2 correct wires.

As far as the cars to look for:
1991 - 1995 Deville
1991 - 1992 Fleetwood
1991 - 1993 Eldorado
1991 - 1993 Seville

You have to make sure that you get the right alt since there are the CS130s and the CS144s. You will know you have a CS144 since the edges where the 4 bolts go are rounded, and the fan is platsic with a metal plate on it. Also the true CS144s are marked like the picture I posted.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry for posting again on here. Feel like Im beating a dead horse. So, if I wanted to put the 80A Camry alt. in my '83 5M, what would I need to do besides splice the round plug in place of the square plug, and drill the V-Belt pulley out? Will it basically bolt right in? I understand Ill most likely have the Charge and Brake lights on, but thats a fairly simple fix.

Will I have to shim the pulley so it lines up? Or will it be fine as is when on the Camry alt?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've also performed this swap with great results. Camry Alt., Belt was a bit tricky, I had to try a few different lengths to get the right one (will try to remember to post up the item number later.) I had to perform the charge light mod on my car, which was a piece of cake and haven't had any issues with the charge light. I can now run the ac or heat at full blast, while having my headlights and fog lights on all at the same time (even though I typically don't use both sets of lights at the same time)! I also opted to get an electric fan which pulls roughly 9amps when it's running, but still don't have any issues with the system being bogged down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just posted this in dbdaniel's post, but id like to cover it here so ppl can find it in both places. i did the swap with the 92 lexus es300 alt. but mine had the oval plug, in order to wire OUR wires into the OVAL plug setup:

(from our car is listed first):
big black to yellow
yellow to white
black to red/blue stripe

this works great. my gauge reads at around 15 volts at all times. all is well. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Uh...16 volts isn't good dhenry. Anything over 15.5 volts and you warping the plates inside the battery from all the heat, among other things.

Our voltmeters on the car aren't the most accurate things Toyota made so if I were you I'd start the car up and check the voltage at the terminals with a multimeter. With a functioning voltage regulator it should not read 16 volts man.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My new setup

Ebay 130 amp camry alt 92. Gates belt Part #
K070370 about 3/4" in longer than stock 7 rib. Bored out stock pulley to 17mm.

Note the alt shaft is 17 mm. Not 43/64 which is a tiny bit larger. Try to use the 17mm bit if possible.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well I gotta figure out what to do. I recently threw in two 12in subs. The amount of amps drawn to push those bad boys is more than what the 80amp alt can handle. I'm thinking of getting a 2.0 farad capacitor, which should never drain. Can get it a lot cheaper than buying a brand new high amp alternator.

OR, I'm gonna throw my 10s back in and put the 12s in my brother's car haha.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Excellent writeup! I swapped out mine for a 92 Lex 80A. If you want to avoid the oval plug, make sure you get it from a Lex that was made before 6/92. After 6/92, the plugs were changed to oval.
A word of advice to avoid future breakdown, if you get the alt from a junkyard, pull it apart and clean up the insides with a good contact cleaner and make sure all copper contacts are nice & shiny. This will prolong the alts life.

Forgot to mention I left the pulley on and sliced a rib off the 7 rib stock belt with a very sharp blade. I couldn't find a 17mm bit. No problems whatsoever.

121 - 140 of 193 Posts