Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be pulling a 5M engine for a swap into another car, and am curious about wiring to the ECU/ignition. After reading about how the MKII has all the wiring all over the place, would it be easier for me to go a 7M swap? I think it has most of the stuff right on the harness, correct?

Any insight would be most helpful :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If your looking to just swap one 5M for another, its pretty simple...just unbolt the motor, undo a few plugs, and the do the reverse with the new motor. A 7M swap requires you to fabricate a harness, remove the old harness and install the new one, along with all the 7M electronics...

Bet ya can guess which is easier ;)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
They are similar in how they are wired up.Depends on your goals.What are you putting it in ? If wiring is an issue,you need someone who understands it,or at least the TSRM's for the donor engine and whatever car/truck you are building.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm putting it into an AE86 Coupe. The wiring's not a HUGE deal, I'm just wondering how much more difficult it will be to put the 5M into the AE86 rather than the 7M.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Oh wow..sorry.. Misunderstood what ya were trying to do...

Umm.. in that case, one is about the same as the other... and all other things being equal, I would go with the 7M

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I can get a 5M, ECU, and W58 tranny for cheaper, but I'll need to buy some other stuff too...

I don't know yet, I may be buying a donor MKIII and I think I may use the 7M out of that maybe....

I'm still thinking about it, but yeah I'm either going with 5M or 7M. Does anyone know anyone selling a MKIII supra with blue leather interior near here? (Alberta)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Must be for staright line use only? :wink: 8)
I'm with Bob here.The wiring is realisticaly the same amount of work for either swap.
Just looked under the hood of one of my Corollas,and looks like the 5m pan is the one to use.If you go 7m you will need a 5m pan/oil pump and relocate the dipstick.Looks like the 7m would have the best motor mount location to adapt to though,as they have two places.The rear set would come real close.
Shawn
1 83 Supra
1 89 donor car
2 5m's on stands
5 7mgte's scattered around-"maybe enough parts for 3 complete"
2 Corolla's out back
Ahh hell I give up-too much to remember ,LMAO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm guessing it will end up being about 200lbs heavier in the front, I'll try to remove some weight from the front and move a bit to the back, hopefully try to offset it a little, but realistically it's not much more than a person sitting in the car with me. (asside from it being more forward)

The engine mounts aren't a huge problem, as I can weld in whatever's needed. Well I'm still thinking about it, but 5M is probably what I'll end up doing.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thing is, the weight is very different.
its really far from the center of the car, kinda like holding a car battery close to your body and spinning in circles as fast as you can, then holding out at arms length and spinning around...

big difference

i think it would be a cool car, but perhaps a 4agze would be a better choice?
those supercharged engines make pretty good power for the displacement.

oh oh oh.... 22rte!!
that would be a fair bit lighter than the 5mge, and it would give you the big torque you might be looking for, plus those turbo 22s make some serious power... damned if i can remember the dudes name, but hes got a celica with a 22rte... or is it 22ret?

whichever... those are my two suggestions... and ill add 22re just cause theyre easy to find real cheap here in edmonton, and then youll still get to use the w58 :)

ps, ill keep an eye out for cars, but what part of alberta are you in?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm down in Calgary. Yeah like I say, I'll try to offset the weight a bit with maybe a lighter hood, and moving the battery to the trunk, and other various things as much as I can.

(Maybe I should just put a dead body in the trunk to offset it :p)

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
yeah thats about what you'd need to offset the weight of an M engine. A stock AE86 coupe has a 54/46 weight balance, you'd be changing that to about a 57/43 ratio. Stock coupes are already tail happy. Your really going to ruin the handling of that car, why not put something in that fits better? Its the same amount of work. Like a 3sgte. Yes, not as cheap, but they have been making them forever. 86+ celicas have the NA versions, the alltracs had the first turbo version available here. The motor isn't that hard to get from importers either. Stock power varies from about 160hp to 250hp depending which year you get. And tons of potential above that. Just think how hard it would be to work on an M engine in a corolla engine bay. We can barely get at the junk under the intake manifold in our mk2s as it is. You'd have to pull the motor just to change your fuel filter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts