Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car's been driving kinda crappy lately, and I'm getting tired of it. My check engine light will come on whenever i go over a bump, or make a sharp turn etc. For sume reason, when I short out the plug to get the codes, the CEL does nothing. It just sits there solid like it normally does. Has any one else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have the same problem but mine comes on when i go past 2Krpm or if it idles for more than 20 sec still... dono what it is ither

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
there used to be a website with how to pull the codes on 84 and older supras, but its no longer up. if you want, pm your email and ill send you the dircections since i saved them. it basically consists of using an analog multimeter and jumping the check connector in the engine bay and counting the number of times the needle moves in certain time frames, which corresponds to a code (code 52 for example). 85 and 86 guys, all you have to do is jump the check connector, turn the key to the on position, and count the number of times the CEL flashes. very simple.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's thing my cel don't do nothing it just stays there fixed I might jump it direct from the ecu later just to see

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there used to be a website with how to pull the codes on 84 and older supras, but its no longer up. if you want, pm your email and ill send you the dircections since i saved them. it basically consists of using an analog multimeter and jumping the check connector in the engine bay and counting the number of times the needle moves in certain time frames, which corresponds to a code (code 52 for example). 85 and 86 guys, all you have to do is jump the check connector, turn the key to the on position, and count the number of times the CEL flashes. very simple.
Oh, ok that makes sense. I was trying to do it the way you are supposed to on the 85-86. Sweet, so I believe my dad has an analog multimeter, I just would need the list of codes. I'll PM you my email.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I didn't have time to scan these in cause I have to dip out for work right now (starts in 10 min), so I just shot these with my phone and upped the exposure for easier readability. So sorry for the poor quality, scans will be up later!

I dont have enough time to explain how to get the readings right now, but you have to jump a terminal near the battery with a paper clip, and hook up an analog multimeter ONLY!
Digital Multimeter don't have a fast enough refresh rate to display the code.
Hopefully someone can explain how to use this while I'm at work...
hope it helps, good luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for that! I think I can get it from here.

Another question, once it spits out the code, does it erase it? I'm just wondering if I'm going to need a pen and paper ready so I can record it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
No prob

Once pulled, the codes will NOT erase. The codes remain in memory until the STOP fuse is removed (for about 5 min depending on temperature), or the battery is removed (codes lost instantly).

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, cool. Good to know. What I really need is an 83 Blue Bible. I've found a couple on egay every once in a while, but I never have the money for them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have one and I'm not gonna lie... its practically useless.
Its got the mki and mkiii Supras splashed everywhere in the book and its difficult to determine what model your reading about. It does help with the proper procedures for performing basic tasks, but its hardly detail specific to the Supra at all. The TSRM is going to provide more help by far, and its free!

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=22

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: So, I found out how to properly check the codes thanks to dannymk2's email. I got a code 22 wich is the water temp sensor. It has been getting pretty hot, so that probibly explains it. Once again, thanks for all your help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts