Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im a newbie and in love with the looks of the MkII Supras and just got to have one,
So I Just test drove 2 different 85 Supra and need advice which to buy
1. 85 with decent clean paint, very clean interior, no crack on dashboard or panels. Seats faded but no tears . Stock 5m engine with headers, valve cover gaskets needs to be replaced due to oil leak. cold air conditioning
2. 85 with faded paint, lots of dings and rust spots on the sunroof. leather seats needs to be reupholstered due to cracks and tears, dashboard crack, blower motor does not work, wipers does not work and some interior pieces missing BUT%%% it has the 6mge engine and you can tell the difference in power

The 6mge car cost $2000 more.
The 5mge is a looker because of the clean body and paint and the clean interior with all the pieces intact. It also handles better.
The 6mge needs to be painted which will probably cost at least $2000 , leather seats maybe $1000, dashboard repair??? probably need to replace shocks or struts and an alignment

The 5mge has acceptable power but after driving the 6mge WHOA it pulls longer and harder. The cost of the 6mge will go higher considering the work that needs to be done or with the 5mge, I will be happy with it looks- wise but I might have the itch of wanting more power. So I need your advice which way to go since i need to decide by tomorrow.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
21 Posts
best bet is to sit down nd figure out the repair totals for both, be carefule with the valve cover bc it could be the cam tower seals also, fairly easy to repair, the 6m is a def plus, how much are they askin for both ns wat are the miles looking like on either, may wanna check for rust on both cars also, newer motor doesnt always mean better car, good luck with ur desicion, either way u'll be happy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$5000 on the 6mge that has 240000 miles on chassis and supposedly 50k on the motor
$3000 on the 5mge that has 114000 miles No rust at all
Please advice what acceptable price I should pay. Will the 6mge pass smog?

thanks

·
Banned
137 Posts
id get teh cleaner car.. its easier to do motor work than it is to do body work.
Plus, it sounds like its the more reliable. You can always save up and build a second motor while your 5mge lives out its life. The 5mge car sounds like its had less people molest it. And if you plan on molesting the car yourself, get the one thats as close to stock as possible. It will make your job alot easier.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Plus with the price difference you could just buy a 7mge and drop inplace of the 5mge and have a faster car, with a newer motor for cheaper than the 6mge still.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i would go for the cleaner 5m, You don't have to fix anything straiight away,so that money saved can be used on putting in a 7mgte. plenty about that on this forum ,it can be pricey but it's well worth doing, get reading. Also check under hatch window for rust most mk2's will have some there! If it has minor rust get it fixed properly before it get's worse! Does either have flared guards?

·
Founding Member
6,523 Posts
Hands down, the 5mge car is the better deal from your brief description. 6mge car sounds like a POS. I've sent better cars to the crusher. 6mge is a nice upgrade but for less than a $1000 DIY you can swap one into the nicer/cheaper car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
$5000 on the 6mge that has 240000 miles on chassis and supposedly 50k on the motor
$3000 on the 5mge that has 114000 miles No rust at all
Please advice what acceptable price I should pay. Will the 6mge pass smog?

thanks

The 6MGE car sounds like it still needs thousands in work to make it as nice as the 5MGE car. Hell you could pay as much as the 5MGE car costs just to fix the rust correctly on the 6M car. Not to mention at 240k miles, there are probably dozens of other little and large problems looming. The car with 114k probably has far fewer needs if it's had any kind of care at all.

You can always put a 6MGE in the nicer car if you've got to have the extra power, and you're still well below what the other car 'with needs' is going to cost you. It sounds like you've been seduced by the 6M's extra power, but from what you've said, that's the ONLY thing that car has going for it compared to the other one. I'd look beyond just the motor if it was me. Just the fact that the other car is rust-free is enough to make it a no-brainer.

As they say in the collector car game, 'Buy the best one you can afford.' The fact that the better one is less money should make your decision easy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both have flared guards. I was going to buy the 5mge but was turned off when carfax showed that it was not registered since 2005 and was worried that the penalties will be at least $900. he bought it at a tow yard 3 weeks ago and gave me a story now that he has to sell it due to a pending divorce.

·
Registered
155 Posts
where do you live ? In australia if your registration runs out and it's longer than 3 months past due ,all you need is a roadworthy certificate(about $70 from certified mechanic)and a wad'o'cash(about $570) to pay for registration. Check what you need to do before parting with your cash. I would also check it's not stolen or owed money on . We have a special number for that! It's worth doing for peace of mind!

·
Registered
552 Posts
+1 for the clean car.

for the list of problems with the 6m its not worth it.. a 7MG is a simple swap and will give you decent power if that's what your after, and you should still have cash left over for other things compared to that 6m..

·
Banned
137 Posts
I bought my car for 800 bucks at auction. Its very nice. It hadnt been inspected or registered since 2000. It runs great. Its solid. Just because its been sitting doesnt mean its a bad car. It just means simple things like a fuel pump, or vacume line, or power booster, might have a rotten hose or diaphram on them. Easy fixes. Ive put about 200 dollars into parts on my car since I bought it. Including shocks, hoses, plugs, ect. Id drive it to china if we had a road all the way there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Both have flared guards. I was going to buy the 5mge but was turned off when carfax showed that it was not registered since 2005 and was worried that the penalties will be at least $900. he bought it at a tow yard 3 weeks ago and gave me a story now that he has to sell it due to a pending divorce.
$900 in penalties??? Just because a car sat for 5 years??? What a crock! I think as soon as I decided which car to buy, my next order of business would be to move to a state where the government intrudes less on your liberty. A perfect example of excessive governance and bureaucracy run amok. Sorry, not trying to change the subject, but that's just outrageous.

People's Republic of California?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went to DMV Ca website and it will cost $490 in fees and I have to take care of smog for the 5mg. The cEL lights up then goes away while driving so I will add maybe another $200 to finish registration. The owner of the 6mg is a Toyota mechanic so I am comfortable with his engine which I am not with the 5mg since there is no history at all and with the oil seeping. The 6mg dropped his price to $4000 and he will take care of smog which is helpful as long as i dont paint it yet and live with the interior. The body of the 6mg has 2 small rust spots on the sunroof and he explained the handling was due to the fact that he replaced coilovers in the front and did not get his rear shocks that he ordered yet and it has not been aligned. So the price difference will now be only be around $1000 since the 5mg dropped his to $2200 to compensate for the fees owed and smog.
I will look at the 5mg again today and unfortunately will have to wait for the 6mg next weekend since the owner just left town.

thanks for all your feedback which is really helpful since you guys are the experts

·
Banned
137 Posts
That dude with the 6mge is asking waaay too much.. id laugh at him for asking 4-5k... seriously dude.. I dont know why this is even a debate... I think you just got a hard on for the 6mge.... Seriously the math says pick the 5mge car any day of the week.
Even at that.. you could still buy a 7mge and drop it in and STILL have less in it than you would have payed for the 6mge. ????? Am I missing something here? You should post pictures...

·
Founding Member
6,523 Posts
I think you just got a hard on for the 6mge.... Seriously the math says pick the 5mge car any day of the week.
Many financial mistakes have been made under the influence of testosterone. The more I hear about the 6mge car, the worse it sounds. Now its got coilovers and handles like crap and all it needs is alignment. That's far, far worse than "the A/C doesn't work but all it needs is freon." (How many times have we heard that and then spent over $2,000). Never buy someone's unfinished/unsuccessful project car. No telling how badly they've messed things up and there's no shop manual to tell you how to fix it. Registration on the 5m car may be a hassle, but at least it sounds like the car is completely intact with only minor issues. Just make sure there is a clear title and pay the fees.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Ya, the 6M< car sounds like its worth $500-1000 tops. The 5M car sounds awesome!

Keep in mind the chassis is the most important thing, motors can come and go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts