Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It started out one morning around 9 am. Looking on the local craigslist, i find a posting of an 85 Toyota Supra for $2000. No pictures. No info. Just a few words and a name and number. I called the guy, who liked very much to talk saying i was interested. He gave me a little info on the car, but didn't know a whole lot about it. After ending the conversation, i called my brother to go check it out. He drives out there, and sees the beauty in all of her pristine pride and glory:

So after snapping these pictures, my brother knocks on the door to find a very drunk man at about 10am. He sits at this guys house for well over an hour, listening to him ramble on about how he used to race it against corvettes and the like back in the day. After getting an oath that he would not sell it until i came to buy it, my brother took her on a test drive. She handled great!
Letting her recharge the alternator after a test jump, he drove her putting her through the cycles. She loved it, and even wanted more.
After i got off work that day, i became the owner of a 1985 ma61 BONE STOCK Toyota Celica Supra.
By bone stock i mean, literally everything except an Alpine Head unit, bass tube, and security system installed in 1986.
Instantly falling in love, we brought her home and the next day, my brother had to drive back out getting the old man to get a new title and sign it over.

So after driving her for a while i did some small, simple, upgrades like installing a new radio:

"Fixing" the Air leak that was killing her:

Cat Delete:

Retard welding job delete:

"Song of our people" mod:

And a "duct tape fix":

So i drove her for a while as a daily, going to the dragon and drifting on occasion (as you can tell by the wheels)

After driving her for a while as a daily, i finally had the notorious Toyota M series breakdown. The headgasket...

After fixing her up with a cometic headgasket, felpro seals from the head up, and ARP Head studs torqued to a more proper setting, she was alive again:

Prettied up the bay too:

Kept driving her daily for a while with no problems until recently, i was sure i had finally destroyed my bearings...
Pulled the oil pan and to my relief there were no metal shavings, etc

Luckily, it was only the bearings in the factory water pump:

Now she's back on the road again, readily awaiting boost.
As she sits now:
Varrstoen v2s 15x8 + 15 offset with 1 inch spacers all the way around

I've gathered most of what i need and my build is as follows:

Ct26 turbo with 7mgte manifold and downpipe:

Aem wideband:

Aem fuel pressure regulator:

Aem 320lph fuel pump :

7mgte intercooler/piping:

Aeromotive fuel pressure guage:

Cometic hg
Arp head studs

Missing parts still needed:
T-fitting for oil feed at oil pressure sending unit
Filter relocation
Boost gauge
Fab up the gauge cluster in the glove box

When she is finished, i'm planning on running low boost (5-7lbs) and controlling it with the fpr and wideband.

Stay posted to watch the build as i complete it! :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'll be watching this one! Great info and love the pictures.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
One suggestion on the oil filter relocation parts. Use very good quality adapters, etc. (Earl's are great) as cheaper cast ones constantly leak no matter how tight they are and also can restrict oil flow as well. I cracked a cheap cast one trying to get it tight enough not to leak. The Earl's adapters work great and don't leak barely more than hand tight as they should and they look great!
Also, the only "gasket" that seems to work properly on the engine adapter is the actual gasket from an oil filter. Nothing else seems to fit properly and not leak. Just buy the cheapest oil filter with that size mounting which is also common to Fords.
These cars are easily as fast or faster than 80's Corvette's but by the early 90's they got some real performance back. Current Corvette's are seriously fast being essentially street legal race cars. How close to race car fast? How about this. The Corvette pace cars in the Pirelli Challenge Series and / or the Continental Touring series have close to 200 HP MORE than the race version! And the Cadillac CTS-V race cars with the same engine as the Corvette's are using headers made by Thunder Road or something like that that usually supplies exhaust systems for Harley. Why? To give them the sound of a muscle car so we remember them. They don't have a balanced exhaust system and that angry bee sound of the other cars so everyone remembers them when they win which they do often!
Great buy and nice job with it so far.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Looking good so far, but you might want to look at the fpr if that is all you are going to be tuning with. 1:1 is fine for mk3's or cars that tune themselves for boost, but you'll want a RRFPR something like 4:1 or 6:1 ratio.

Which head gasket did you go with out of curiosity, i'm still on the fence between the titan motorsports 1.4mm and 2.0mm myself.

As for the oil pressure fitting T you're looking for 1/8 bspt(aka bsp) male to the block, female 1/8 bspt for your factory sender, then 1/8 npt or whatever for your turbo feed line you choose to that ct26 oil flange you've got up there. Here is one of the first google results for that. Did you toss an oil drain bung on the pan while you had it off by chance?
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=11217

After the turbo is all done you'll need some meatier tires for sure ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm definitely going to be following this! Turbocharging my car is an option I am considering in future!

One thing though - as I understand it, the 85 (and 86) models have higher compression at about 9.2:1, versus the 82-84 at 8.1:1. The 7M-GTE also has compression in the 8:1 band. Are you going to source lower-compression pistons or try to make it work with the existing?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'd reccomend a 2.0mm head gasket on that to drop the compression down a bit for boosting. Good to finally read this thread after all the following on Facebook, john.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I know is been a while but I have had a few set backs.
Some good some bad

Purchased a 83 p-type and a 85 p-type
got the 83 running and meanwhile our Durango took a trans crap so the wife is driving the 83 now while I daily my car like usual and tear down the other 85 for a future project. ..

So I've been busy needless to say,

With that being said,I've also added a Safc2 to the build and only lack lines I believe I will mock up to my other car for lengths. . But I will post some updates in a few days, ,

also hat a great time at the dragon and was nice meeting those I did speak with

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
No shame in going your own pace for whatever reason it may be. How do you like that shifter, and how was the fuel pump swap and how loud is it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The shifter after I got broke in is great couldn't ask for more. The pump is very quiet actually, it came with a foam/rubber material that is wrapped around it. The swap was fairly easy because she is very well taken care of and no rust what so ever.

Has been gong through more fuel now lol and the turbo isn't installed yet lol

On another note got my braidedl lines in today ;)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice man turbo 5ms are damn fun
You plan on running stock injectors or some 210cc mr2 ones with the RRFPR?
Clutch might need upgrading if you plan to run anything past stock 6 psi or so
Watch your timing as well I ran 24 degrees on 6 psi on 91 octane but without control of it I would run it retarded to be safe
Triple check it with a timing light. Timing might be more important than AFR tuning on a RRFPR as the wideband will tell you rich or lean

I am running stock ct26 on E85 with stock fuel lines and FPR just a walbro 450 intank and 750cc injectors so far no issues with it
But when I dropped my tank it looked terrible I dont think the stock fuel system is meant for ethanol gas like E10 or E85

1 - 20 of 79 Posts