Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
HOLY CRAP!
How do I miss these great threads?:32:
Your first post about this car was in February?
I wish that the moderators would let the "NEW POSTS" hang around for a day or so.
Todays new posts were ONE @8PM.:sadbanana:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice build up.
Whats about turboing cars with a automatic Transmission?
Did the Transmisson like it or did I get any Problems after a Turbobuild?

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Good no, excellent question...
There have been failures with the turbo on the trannys behind our 5,6Ms.
As Junkie said: "Nobody shifts faster than my transmission!"
A43-DE.A340E.A341E.
The shift happens at FULL rpm. The Blow Off Valve does not know the difference.
With a lot of power on tap,that will make the tranny SCREAM with heat. It will not release and applies full boost to the engine. Get it? No BOV during shifts.
The tranny/ECU SEES the TPS at 100% and the MAP @ around zero,so it shifts at the full boost,with minimal lag.
Is that about right?

The shifts must be absolutely BRUTAL,correct?
Is there heat?
Yeah.

Like(we) I say, is this a good idea with a TGE set up?
BARK the 1-2 shift? Like a German Shepard.Maybe a pair of them.
Please ADD a tranny cooler of your own design.
Your choice to by-pass the stock in-radiator cooler.
I would say NO. Run a stand- alone cooler,smart people.+ an additoinal filter with magnets attached.
There is a lot more info in running Automatic Transmissions in our cars.
The enemy is heat.
Junkie,where are you? Tranny guy. HELP!
Remote filter.[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/Supravalanceebay023.jpg.html][/URL]
Fram is not a good filter.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Auto tragic is not the way of life.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Some people call them a SLUSH BOX.
No rowing through the gears,just stab and steer. I still downshift into a corner.
Brake pads wear out faster with an automatic-equipped car.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
"Stock boost"... :joy::joy::joy:

Great start to what I am sure will be an excellent build thread. Nice work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I've gone through alot in the last few weeks!

I'll start with initial tear down.

Then mounted steel braided lines ect. .. this also came to be an issue because the mating surface had some debris on it but was fixed ;)

Then went about mounting, , and installed a t fitting at the oil pressure sending unit for the feed line

Then it was onto wiring in the safc2,boost Guage, and wideband in a temp location. (Later on moved to a pillar pod)
(Safc also gave me issues it would always dump fuel at idle? Could never get it to read correct, to my knowledge it's a resistance issue but I'm not positive)so I am using my spate afm I have opened up for adjustments

Installed the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, or fmu (rrfpr)
Wich also took a dump on me but Ryan is a great guy and took care of me. Though imn still waiting on a diaphragm recalibration kit from JEGS

https://vimeo.com/137797550

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
On the trans cooler, I would recommend keeping the in radiator one and adding a thermostat controlled external. The in radiator cooler is really more of a stabilizer than a cooler per se. An important part of what it does is help the fluid get up to temp quicker which is good and also why you need a thermostat on the external cooler. It would be easier to hook up if the thermostat for the external cooler is built in. However, it might be easier to fit using an external thermostat but there will be extra plumbing for the bypass line.
I'm not an expert on our particular automatics but having driven one for a short time, it's certainly among the best at shifting up and down at just the right time under varying conditions, especially for its vintage. In my opinion, it's only in the last few years that most other modern automatics have achieved this level of control albeit with quite a few more gears, which is also good.
If I remember correctly, there are ways to strengthen the trans using better and I believe sometimes extra clutches and possibly other upgraded parts. There are quite a few other vehicles that use this particular family of transmissions. Volvo is the only one I can recall at the moment though. A quick search should help you find sources of potential upgrade information as well as parts.
However, like Dave said, there isn't much that will help with full throttle shifts and the extreme heat that they generate. Sure the external cooler will help as would frequent fluid changes. But for the most part, just enjoy it for what it is and keep it between the lines. Good luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Great pix and a squirting video! (Sorry).
Thanks for posting!
A lot of guys are going the turbo route and you just added to the data.
Gotta get the "T" in there!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
First off to verify and not sure why it was brought up, but I'm not running a auto trans not a trans cooler so it's off subject lol.

Will continue to write out the build some more in a few still waiting on the rrfpr diaphragm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So after removing the squirter from the situation I an now running the stock fpr for the time being. (Staying out of boost)

Struggle is real sometimes.

So then I installed the stock ic piping from a mk3 wich I Didn't take many pics of due to a dead phone. ..

Also forgot to disconnect the pcv on first run lol so went through replacing the crank and cam seals. .......lesson learned

Yay back together!

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Hello? You have done a lot of work here and I give one "Atta boy!".
I cannot stand that you do not have a header panel:A place to put your tools and beverages!
I gave away 2 perfect templates. Mine is alloy.Cut with a water jet.
Really soft and it scratches easily:I just toss a towel over it.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/Bubble%20wrap/temporary_11.jpg.html][/URL]
I missed the group buy a long time ago.Had to make my own.
Unknown if Mr. Whisker has any made from carbon fiber to fit your '85.
Keep at it. Gotta get the boost.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hello? You have done a lot of work here and I give one "Atta boy!".
I cannot stand that you do not have a header panel:A place to put your tools and beverages!
I gave away 2 perfect templates. Mine is alloy.Cut with a water jet.
Really soft and it scratches easily:I just toss a towel over it.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/Bubble%20wrap/temporary_11.jpg.html][/URL]
I missed the group buy a long time ago.Had to make my own.
Unknown if Mr. Whisker has any made from carbon fiber to fit your '85.
Keep at it. Gotta get the boost.
Ty

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rising rate setups are ok maybe up to 4 psi. 8:1 rate at 6 psi is 48 psi of additional fuel pressure.
High pressure bypass on high pressure pumps is around 90psi.
When I ran a rising rate I used 210cc MR2 injectors and a 8:1 it was was pig rich
Are the calibration disks from vortec that was the only ones I could find for that style of RRFPR
For timing I just retarded the dizzy all the way and ran it on race gas for a few pulls. I drove maybe 10 miles on the FMU setup before swapping to a stand alone.
I was scared of it blowing up without anyway to retard the timing under boost.

One plan I was going to try is run a fuel controller like a SAFC or UAFC and run a map sensor instead of the AFM.
I was going to try and tune the map signal to act like the AFM signal. Problem was timing control and the fact the MSD BTM is pretty much the same cost as a full standalone(microsquirt)

Also that plate is awesome. Would it help with airflow to the radiator as well?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Also that plate is awesome. Would it help with airflow to the radiator as well?
In theory yeah. There is a seal on the hood that is supposed to meet up just in front of the radiator, you can actually see the line it makes. If the seal is old or the hood is lifting a bit at speed the panel should work wonders. I personally haven't noticed a difference either way, but hey, couldn't hurt right?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts