Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
It has been done on here literally hundreds of times. Do some searching.

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
super super old...
We learned early on (back in the '90s) that the use of an RRFPR (FMU) was hit or miss. When you missed it was usually catastrophic melt down. Fuel and spark management consist of boost-referenced fuel pressure (FMU) and ignition retard (MSD). In the late '90s there was a shift to following Reg Riemer's lead and we moved on to swapping the 7mgte and everything else needed from a donor Mark3. Or using stuff like Megasquirt or even better commercial programmable engine management. Lots of threads on here. Try searching RRFPR or FMU or megasquirt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We learned early on (back in the '90s) that the use of an RRFPR (FMU) was hit or miss. When you missed it was usually catastrophic melt down. Fuel and spark management consist of boost-referenced fuel pressure (FMU) and ignition retard (MSD). In the late '90s there was a shift to following Reg Riemer's lead and we moved on to swapping the 7mgte and everything else needed from a donor Mark3. Or using stuff like Megasquirt or even better commercial programmable engine management. Lots of threads on here. Try searching RRFPR or FMU or megasquirt.
awesome thank you for the reply :)

·
Super Moderator
8,142 Posts
And then in the 2000s we all discovered JZ swaps... Nobody wants the old M series stuff any more. Its difficult to even give it away anymore.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And then in the 2000s we all discovered JZ swaps... Nobody wants the old M series stuff any more. Its difficult to even give it away anymore.
I was asking because I was thinking kind of the same thing, This stuff is pretty old now and I know ppl want to JZ swaps, so I thought maybe I could do one of these older upgrades for my first go as maybe I could pick up stuff for cheap since no real interest in it because ppl have moved to better things, Plus I can then be patient and get money together for a J swap I can maybe find for a good deal, That Reg guy seems like some kind of a legend in the community.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Random thoughts: JZ's are even getting weird now too. They're old. VVTI's are way more common. Non-vvti pricing is starting to creep up a little bit. And there's nothing next. The bloodline ends at JZ... where do we go? 3.5L's?

·
Super Moderator
8,142 Posts
I was asking because I was thinking kind of the same thing, This stuff is pretty old now and I know ppl want to JZ swaps, so I thought maybe I could do one of these older upgrades for my first go as maybe I could pick up stuff for cheap since no real interest in it because ppl have moved to better things, Plus I can then be patient and get money together for a J swap I can maybe find for a good deal, That Reg guy seems like some kind of a legend in the community.
I doubt you'll find it cheaper in the end. The hard way almost always is. As they say cheap, fast, or reliable, pick two.

·
Founding Member
6,229 Posts
Can't say nobody. We have had a half dozen or so inquiries over the last decade from people interested in doing modifications that would be period correct, i.e. as when our Supras were first coming off warranty. Not everybody is shooting for ultimate horsepower. A lot of the mk2's allure today, compared to 20 or even only 10 years ago, is pure nostalgia. Its the same as swapping a 307 for a vintage big block out of an old truck when it would be much better performance-wise to buy a modern crate motor. No, when he was a teenager, he dreamed of a big block Chevelle (or Nova or Camaro or whatever) and as great as it would be, an LS3 just wasn't in the dream. He's not building it for the drag strip, rather he's building it so he can pretend he's young again, only with wealthy parents this time. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts