Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have used the search button and can't find an answer. There is MkII currently residing in a local junkyard. Rearend code is F293. LSD right? Of course it is, everybody knows the diff codes. Any rate, the car is on blocks, so the rear is not touching the ground. Spin one tire backwards, the other spins forward. This means open right... or could it be that the LSD is toast or has bad oil? Should I crack the pumpkin open and check? What could be hurt if I do this? I would guess that as long as I don't remove anything from the pumpkin that I can just put a new gasket on and close up the back without screwing up the settings. Am I right? Oh yeah, there is no 'LSD oil' sticker on the pumpkin either, but it is 25 years old...

Thanks guys

Oh yeah, for the record once again... I did use the search button, but did not get my question answered completely.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
LSDs are going to turn the opposite direction of the other one when off the ground. you may have searched but try google the term limited slip differental next time.

·
Registered
663 Posts
With a properly functioning limited slip differential, if both wheels are in the air they will both spin in the SAME direction if you turn one by hand.
Either the unit you are looking at is totally worn out or it was swapped out and an open diff. was put in in it's place.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see, that is what I got when I googled limited slip. Some entries were like yours 83rm and others stated like KJK that the axles will turn the same way. That is why I asked, seems like it may be an LSD, I will just pop the back cover off the next time I am out there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
A Torsen limited slip will act like an open differential when you turn one wheel. It's due to the design. Clutch type LS differentials will have both wheels turn in the same direction. The Supra used a clutch type.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It's likely been swapped. Many/ (most?) lsd's have the red-lettered LSD on white sticker on the rear. lsd's turn the same direction.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out, it is an LSD. I went to the JY at lunch today and pulled the back cover. I am guessing that the PO put either regular gear oil in it or it is toast. The oil that came out was black and stunk something fierce. JY price for the diff is 65$ Is there a way to tell if it truely is toast with the car sitting in the air and no tires on the car. Right now, it feels like the drivers side disc is stuck. I can not turn it at all. The passengers side turns freely with the driver's stuck. Is the diff toast? What am I looking at for rebuild costs? Is it something I can do myself or should I let a professional do it? I am pretty good mechanically speaking with a few engine swaps and HG replacements under my belt.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My LSD spins the oppisit direction when in the air but i was swapped before i got the car almost sure. My LSD also turns my car purple and gives it wings to escape the Bubble people...Another problem entirely! :iocrunks2:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
It may just be weak, was the drive shaft locked? If its an auto in park I think they will spin opposite, but it would be difficult. Mine spins opposite when it should spin both the same and acts like an LSD unless its very slick out, as in snow, or sometimes in heavy rain. If you need one and there isn't much play I'd grab it anyways.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked it up today, cost ended up being 50$ instead of 65$ I think that the PO of the supra put regular gear oil in the LSD, just from the smell of it. It is over at the shop now. I am thinking that I can clean it out first... again, not removing or adjusting anything inside. Then put some LSD oil in it and see what happens. It is going into the cressida anyway. So if it is toast, I can pull it back out and put the original diff back in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts