Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is as far as I've gotten. I have no idea how to get the black guage cover off, and I don't want to break something.

My speedometer needle is shaking and squeeling more then Richard Simmons would if he had a seizure. I took the dask apart to lube up the cable, but it didn't fix anything. So I want to try to lube up the speedometer internals and see if that will fix it. While I'm at it I'd like to get rid of those stupid green bubbles on the inside of the guage cluster so I can change the lighting to blue.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyone have any spare 130mph guage clusters lying around while I'm at it? hehe

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
You've got to take ALL the zillion little phillips screws out of the backside. Then the gauge face with all the instruments should lift straight out. More than likely the speedo cable itself is the problem. Good luck getting all the right screws back into the right spot. It seems like everyone is a different length. HTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks for the tip again SilverMk2.

SupraRacer007: Thanx. I actually already read those two threads. They will be very helpful when I swap out the speedometer for a 130mph unit.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Ravicai- what part of So Cali are you in?
if you want the 130MPH guage clusters try going to the local junk yards. I know there are a couple over here where im at :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question while we are on the topic of gauges...

Why the hack doesn't my 82 Supra have a check engine light?

zankone: I live in Riverside. I'll do the junkyard route next time I have some freetime (with the exception of Pick-a-part, which sucks fat monkey arse if you ask me).

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Because your 82 does not have the Check Engine Diagnostic system. Thus one of the reasons why it's a non TCCS motor. The CE system came in the 83 model year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Also a common problem with the speedometer boucning. Is that when there's too much grease in the speedometer housing. It is forced up the cable and into the back of the speedometer gauge. At the dealership I worked at. We use to take some carb spray and carefully clean the built up grease off the back of the speedometer. When you open up the case. As in the 1st pictures on the other posts. You will see the little black wheel that sits behind the odometer gauge. This is the area where most of the grease will accumulate. Clean this area but try not to get any of the spray. On the numbers or other parts that may have their colors washed off.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I would also like to change my lights to bule, or white.......BUT I could not figure out how the hell to get the speedo cable off?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where the speedometer cable meets the gauge cluster. There's a white clip that you have to press. To release the cable from the housing. Reach your hand around the gauge cluster. And you will feel the white clip that is on the speedometer cable. Push this clip and it will release the cable. Make sure you push on the back of the clip and not the front. The front is where the cable meets the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
is there a cluster that fits into the stock mk2 cluster that goes beyond 130mph???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts