Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Seriously? You don't bolt them on the back of the hub like stock then? I'm such a noob. That's what rsdeo meant by floating disc I guess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I'll need to do that. But I'm still confused. Where exactly do you machine the hub then if the rotors mount on the front? The rotors appear slip on the front of the hub no problem. I had the back of the hubs machined down when i thought that's where they mount. Obviously that was a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I get it now. The OUTSIDE perimeter of the hub needs to be machined down to fit INSIDE the rotor. Like HatchiRolla did on his brake upgrade. HachiRolla's '83: Ali Post #6. I dropped off my hubs and rotors at the machine shop to do the work again. Ugh. I totally misread and understood the process here. Oh well. Live and learn.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this guys. I'm a little concerned because I had the bore on the inner part of the hub machine down. So will that affect fitment or anything onto the spindle?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The bore on the inner part of the hub? Like where the bearings go? Or the bore of the brake rotor where it fits over the hub? Or the center of the hub where the rotor/wheel fits over to center the rotor/wheel?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
The bore on the inner part of the hub? Like where the bearings go? Or the bore of the brake rotor where it fits over the hub? Or the center of the hub where the rotor/wheel fits over to center the rotor/wheel?

Mike

The bore on the back side of the hub where the stock rotor mounts. I mistakenly though the MPV rotor mounts the same way but learned from you and others that the rotor slides on the front of the hub over the studs. Like a standard brake disc and like the rears.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Understood. Can't imagine that would cause any issues. Share pictures and progress!

Mike

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It keeps you from using centering rings to keep the disc centered, otherwise no big deal...

--billyM
The front part of the hub where the rotors slide over is untouched. I actually told the machine shop to make me a spacer so that the rotor is hub centric and centered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Yep, that's how we learn.

Sorry, but I lost my picture hosting from the original threads and never reposted them. Go find a set of 1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 front wheel hubs and be happy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's an update. The front upgrade is done! I received the hubs and rotors back from the machine shop, done right this time, and everything fits like a glove. I did have to put a thick washer in between the caliper mounting bracket and strut. The rotor was binding up on the bracket so needed a bit more space. I"ll snap a few pics and show you all what i am talking about.

I went to put on the front wheels and found out the studs that came with the spacers are not long enough. With the larger thickness rotor and 10mm spacer there just is not enough threads. I can only get about 5 or 6 threads on the lug nuts. So I took the spacer off and the wheels and tires seem to fit fine without them. The tires do appear to rub on the wheel well when turning lock to lock. So, wondering if I can adjust the strut bar to center the wheel in the wheel well. Here's a couple pics of the front wheels installed. The fitment looks pretty good.

Preston came over this past weekend and looked at everything. He noticed the ball joints were sloppy. There was quite a bit of play in the entire strut housing. As part of this brake upgrade, I decided to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and say bar links. I searched on rockauto and found that you can buy the entire lower control arm with the new ball joints already pressed. Well, turns out it did not fit right and the ball joint was too small. I first noticed the holes for the stabilizer bar didn't quite line up so i figured it was just a minor error from the factory. I drilled them out and they fit. I didn't really compare the ball joints at this point and didn't question whether they would fit. I put them on the car, put hte castle nut on and cotter pin. Put everything together and that's when preston noticed the free play. Then we did a stare and compare and sure enough the new ball joints were way smaller than the old ones. So, I ordered new ball joints from autozone, took the old ones with me and made sure the new ones were the correct size. Luckily I saved the old control arms so cleaned them up, painted and pressed them in. Now it works great. I'll take some pics here in a while and post them up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
21 - 37 of 37 Posts