Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the turbo ate itself last friday (another story), I'm ready to build my spare 6M. The one in the car (the only engine i've ever built) has leaked oil since 5k miles after the build. Incidentally that was the mileage I added the turbo.

One of the questions I have is what gaskets are specifically important to use Toyota parts (like camshaft and main seals), and which aren't as troublesome.

A little bit about what is going in the engine and what I don't need:
Wiseco pistons
Eagle Rods
have Clevite bearings, but don't mind buying something else
new water pump
new oil pump (not purchased yet)
1.2mm HKS HG

I'll be using an assembled, previously built head, so some gaskets won't be needed.

My thoughts were to buy a budget gasket set, then buy the main seals and camshaft seals from Toyota. The full engine kit from Toyota, from what I understand is quite pricey.

Also, where all is the FIPG sealant recommended to be used? Oil pan, cam towers, and where else? I made a mistake on my rebuild by letting the machine shop assemble my head; it pools oil in the spark plug galley because they used Permatex.

Any other pointers of eliminating risks of oil leaks? I think my crankcase ventilation is good, although this was not the case in the beginning.

What oil viscosity should I run? I was running 10w40

D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I've used seals from carquest with no problems whatsoever. As for cam tower gaskets i only use the metal gaskets and have yet to have one leak when torqued by the book. Oil pan i always use "right stuff" sealant. I have yet to develop any leaks and i'm well over 20k on this reaseal.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I love to see what people have to say also. I just used a cheap gasket set on the 6m for the Cressy and have yet to start it up.

·
POTATO
17,256 Posts
I have about 15,000 miles on my 6M, it only leaks from the blasted cam towers. The front and rear main seals are Toyota, the rest are off brand "Evergreen" kit from ebay, and they're doing fine.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Build it, and just let it sit there on the engine stand. If you do not run it and do not fill it with oil, it will not leak:sarcasm:

Right now the only thing that leaks on my build is from me messing up the front crank seal a little. I lose about a quart every oil change, so I have not fixed it yet.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest concern is the rear main seal. I'm getting oil on my clutch; just enough to make it slip. I'll be getting a custom beefed up clutch from SPEC, but they said I can have absolutely no oil leaks into the bellhousing.

If this one leaks I'll have to go to an A340, but I really like my W58

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I remember someone posted about a specific gasket kit on ebay that was really high quality and never had any issues with. I wanna say Damon but could of been another member.

·
Registered
166 Posts
im using a felpro gasket set and it works fine except for the rear main because my gasket set was for a 5m and i didnt have the right seal i really should have replaced it but i didnt and now i regret that

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
On my builds, I use KP gasket CO gaskets, and HKS or Titan metal head gaskets. The KP kits are made in Japan, and are high quality. I've only been using silicone sealer on the oil pan, and a Permatex spray sealant on other gaskets (except for cam tower gaskets).
-Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts