Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread earlier about installing Microsquirt on a 5MGTE, but I had a question that I, so far, haven't found an answer to.

My engine harness is in pretty bad shape (multiple hard spots, broken/cracked insulation, and connectors ripped off by the person who bought my car from me 4 years ago). Do I need to keep my harness at all, or will the 8 foot harness that comes with MS replace it? I'm not looking to boost the engine yet, but, this would future-proof any mod I wanted to do. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You will want to rewire anyway. The way the injectors are wired up alone is reason to rewire.
When I did my MS2 install I hacked the stock harness to get it running and driving then made my own harness after everything was hashed out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've never dealt with aftermarket management, it's confusing so far, as I was thinking the MS harness would replace the stock one, minus some connectors.

I've seen where Microsquirt is essentially Megasquirt 2, so would an MS2 install write-up on here be of any value when it comes time for me to install micro?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The wiring should be the same. Think of it as getting the sensor information you want then the outputs you want. You can read a write up and choose to use their same pickups and outputs then the wiring will be the same. For mine I chose to get the 'crank' trigger from the distributer vs the crank wheel method so my wiring was different than most.
Microsquirt vs MSII wiring 'may' be different at the MS plug connection as the pinning may be different, I haven't looked into the difference.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank y'all for the info. This is all new to me, so I'm trying to gather all the info I can before going forward with the purchase.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have another question. Do I have to do anything to the dash harness? I've been seeing other installs on different vehicles, where the dash has been pulled. Haven't seen anything like that on our vehicles.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
How do you mean 'do anything with the harness'?
Are you trying to keep the stock gauges? You will lose some depending on what you choose to change out to accommodate the MS unit. Tach converter will be needed but that wiring can be tapped into in the engine bay. (I recommend you do not use the MSD unit. Mine smoked in literally 5 seconds.)
What other vehicles are you referring to? Newer vehicles have a lot more tie ins with instrument clusters than ours, CAN bus for instance. If it has any sort of digital conversion then they are probably sending/getting signals from the cluster to make the rest of the car happy with a non stock engine management. Ours are relatively dumb analog signals.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of the ms2 talk here has to do with the plug N play ecus DIYautotune.com released for our car. The intent was to be able to use the factory harness with that ecu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts