Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I have a problem. When I push down on my clutch pedal and then shift gears, it tends to grind somewhat if I immediately shift after pushing the pedal. If I wait a few seconds and then shift everything is fine. Does this sound like my master/slave cylinder going out? It didn't seem to be doing this when I first got the car. That's what leads me to believe something is going on...

Also, it tends to grind going into reverse more often than not. Idk enough about clutches and transmissions to just start going at it without consulting the forum.

I appreciate any help/advice...Thanks in advance.

-Danny

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
change to thicker fluid in tranny
sounds like syncros

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Make sure all of your bellhousing bolts to engine are tight. There should be a 3 second delay when shifting into reverse, or it will grind. It gives the transmission time to slow down enough so that the spur gears for reverse can mesh. Sometimes it helps to let the car roll ever so slightly while shifting into reverse, so that the gear teeth can line up (reverse gear is never synchronized). The same technique can be applied for shifting back into forward 1st gear.

A binding pilot bearing can also cause this. It is the small bearing that is pressed into the end of the rear crankshaft. If it were seized, it would act like the clutch isn't releasing, and it would be very hard to shift into first or reverse with the engine running. Hope this gives you a clue about what's going on. :)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
try to shift "pumping" the clutchmaybe 2 or 3 times, if the problems seems to be solved, u have a bad clutch master cylinder , check how far the sleeve moves

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. thanks guys. i was hoping for just a master cylinder and now i have the possibility of synchros and the pilot bearing. damn... car has 210956 miles on it but idk if that is true for the transmission. it drives fine after you start going from what i remember. been a few weeks since ive driven it due to overheating problem that i solved last night. just a thermostat. didnt have time to work on it till yesterday.

but i will drive it around a bit either today or tomorrow and double check everything.

thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My Supra has 202,000 miles on it, and is starting to do the same thing. The clutch master cylinder is worn out on mine (again). This will be the fourth one going into this car. Did you check under the dash and above the dead pedal carpet for oily carpet from a leaking clutch master? Is it low on fluid? Those are the easiest 2 things to check, and only takes a minute. Just start with the easiest stuff and move on until you find the problem. Congrats on fixing your overheating problem as well! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts