Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if additional safety equipment (roll cage, etc.) is required to run in the road rally event at the 2003 Vegas Meet? Also, I noticed on the Vegas 2003 website that a Corvette has already registered for the rally event, does this mean that any model car can compete? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
my guess would be that any car can go but only supras will be getting awards :D

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
The "Rally" event does not exist, it's a "Road Course" event @ LVMS. This is a new event for us, am pretty sure there will be Tech Inspection of sorts. Beyond that, I don't know much else. As soon as Keith gets more specific's posted for each event, we will know more. As for other cars participating, I don't know at this point.

Yes, I noticed that other cars have registered. Have not a clue as to what these peeps are thinking, esp the owners of the Corvette & the Camry. Using these 2 guys as examples:

A. For the Saturday night Drag Racing, for our group, it will be SUPRA'S ONLY!!!! The guy w/ the Corvette will be allowed to race w/ the Corvette group, the Camry will not be allowed to participate. This is NOT a open Test & Tune night, only Corvette's, Vipers & Supra's will be running on Saturday night. If the Camry wants to race, he will have to do it on Friday.

B. For the Friday afternoon Show N Shine, neither one will be allowed in. The Vegas meet is a ALL SUPRA event, unlike the Texas meet where Peter allows other Toyota's & Lexus's in to pad his numbers. Keith Hart is VERY ADAMENT about this!!!! The owners are free to wander around & look, but neither car will be allowed in & park w/ the rest of the group. The event coordinators have "man'd" registration @ the Show & Shine entrance & they will be turned away.

C. Dyno session on Sunday. Most likely, both cars can run, BUT the Supra's will get first priority. They will probably be allowed in after all of the Supra's are done w/ their runs. Last year, the dyno event went into a 2nd day & since this will be the very last event of the meet... I doubt if they will be allowed to run, unless Mike Arnett decides to stay open late. Since Sunday is the last day of the event, most peeps start heading home that day, esp those that live in the SW.

Any other questions, feel free to ask me. This will be my 6th year & I'm good friends w/ all of the event coordinators. And yes, the event awards will only be going to Supra participants. This is not "Camry's Invade Las Vegas VII".

·
Registered
565 Posts
WOW! Chris really has quite a bit of information there. :) hehehe

Let's see if I can help fill in a bit more...

We are not yet sure how much safety equipment is necessary for the road course. There will be a whopper of a form to sign before you are allowed onto the track. Also... the Road Course is not at LVMS - they want too much money. We found a purpose built 2.2 mile road course about 45 miles West-ish of Las Vegas in Pahrump (for those of you that may be willing to pay for IT... this is also the closest legal brothel to Las Vegas - and before you ask... no. I have never paid for IT. I just try to pass along any usefull information I can for those people that are planning on coming to Vegas).

We are opening the Road Course up to other cars because we want to make sure this activity happens. I need to have 50 people pre-paid by July 20th or we will be forced to cancel this activity and try to get our deposit back.

If you have never been on a road course before then you have no idea what you are missing. This is a TOTAL blast. We will have different classes on the track so don't be afraid if this is your first time. By the end of the day you will have learned a GREAT deal more about pushing your Supra to the edge.

I know Chris Eng always has fun on the "Parade" laps at the Portland Historic Races... Ask him how much fun it is and then imagine driving without a pace car holding everyone back from having the REAL fun! :)

Remember that the Road Course registration fee is in addition to the event registration fee... so that means for just $80 you get to spend time on the road course and get 2 free limited edition 2003 Supras Invade Las Vegas event T-shirts (price goes up on July 15th to $65 for the road course, $25 for the event registration, and you only get 1 free T-shirt). For those planning on participating in the dyno day your registration will also save money on the dyno fee.

I can't wait to see the MkIIs back in Vegas - I've always wanted a nice white 85 to park next to my white 89 - and when I do the 2J in my 89 I'll have a nice 7MGTE for the 85.

KeithH
Supras Invade Las Vegas
http://Vegas.Supras.Org

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
All I can say is that when I read about running wide-open on a 2.2 mile road coarse, I get this HUGE Grin on my face :D

Couple of questions. Is this a timed event with each car running separately like autox, or are all cars is a particular class running at the same time head to head? How many laps do we get? Do we get any practice laps? Do you have a layout of the track with the lengths of each straightaway and degree and banking of each turn? Thanks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
As this is a new activity for us... we are still working to define it. We are working with someone that takes his car out every weekend (and the wife's car too). We are confident that this will be an exciting activity and that you will be done, physically, before your time on the track is up.

I do have a map of the track - I don't know how detailed it is... but it will give an overview. I still have to post this map on the website.

We are working on getting the transponders to allow us to make this a timed activity. There will be other cars on the track with you - as I said... we are working to make this activity as fun as possible. We hope to have this structured similarly to how NASA events are run.

7 hours shared by 50 - 75 people = WOOHOO! :):):):):):):):)

Keith

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith H and Chris Eng,

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I'll be able to beef up my suspension and tires in time to participate. I'm also trying to convince several non-Supra friends of mine here in Vegas to join in, it'd be interesting to run against a couple AE86 GT-S's, a Mustang GT, and a FC RX-7.

·
Registered
50 Posts
road course

hey chris,
isn't the road course actually at the bragg smith driving school, which is out in pahrump about 60 miles out of vegas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts