Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this is the right section of the forums to ask but when i first got my 86 i was doing some work under the hood and noticed on the firewall it is stamped MA61-0175000. i was just wandering if that is any kind of significant number for mk2s?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Old question, MA61 = Celica Supra. the rest of the number has no known meaning (not the serial number).

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It is part of the VIN (not VIN number, that is repetitive since VIN means Vehicle Identification Number), I think Toyota did it so someone could not just steal the car and swap the VINs on the dash and drivers door and call it another car.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Old question, MA61 = Celica Supra. the rest of the number has no known meaning (not the serial number).
At least with the hundreds of other toyotas I have looked at, it matches the last digits of the VIN specific to only that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I think the question is if this is a special/collectible car. You know, how some domestics have special editions, first or last of model year, first or last of production, etc. There are no significant factory stock MKII Supras. The number tells us this was a late production car, and thats about it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've often wondered what would be the legal way to put two cars together, if one was wrecked in the front and you had a good front on a different body that was rusted out.
I've been tempted to swap the three plates and cover the firewall stamp if needed.
The VIN number stamped plate under the windshield, the build code plate attached to the firewall and the build date plate on the drivers door can all be removed and changed pretty easy.
That number that is stamped right into the firewall metal is the hard number to change.
The cars look alike, but here in California the SMOG station checks the VIN #s.
But do they check that one too?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
They probably don't even know about that one. In the tsrm it show the dash vin, one the wheel well and one other spot. Back then they did not sticker the vin on everything

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To add my own question, my VIN starts JT2MA67... JT2 is Japan, Toyota, and the #2 code plant... Then the MA67 throws me off, because the firewall has MA64 or MA61 on it, but it doesn't make sense, and I never figured it out...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've often wondered what would be the legal way to put two cars together, if one was wrecked in the front and you had a good front on a different body that was rusted out.
I've been tempted to swap the three plates and cover the firewall stamp if needed.
The VIN number stamped plate under the windshield, the build code plate attached to the firewall and the build date plate on the drivers door can all be removed and changed pretty easy.
That number that is stamped right into the firewall metal is the hard number to change.
The cars look alike, but here in California the SMOG station checks the VIN #s.
But do they check that one too?
my first 85 had 82 vin plates and such swapped on by PO weird i know.. lol all legal too...

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
IIRC, Vin code shows country/region sold in, and firewall stamping shows chassis type and number produced, from factory. MA61 chassis can be left or right hand drive, and Vins arent, or werent at the time, universal worldwide.

·
Premium Member
8,498 Posts
MA67 USA/Canada model

1 - 12 of 12 Posts