Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my 6M upper manifold on the shelf and I noticed there was a flow divider in the upper plenum. Maybe my memory is bad but I don't remember this being in the 5M manifold. I don't feel like ripping my car apart to verify this :p . Here is a photo of what I'm talking about;

http://www.pbase.com/image/18412163

Anybody got a d-shaped runner manifold on the shelf that can check this out. I was just curious.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
to what I remember that divider is not there for the 5M Upper manifold. Ill see if I can dig up a pic

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Wow, yet another interesting discovery! I just looked at a spare 85 5M plenum that I have and the divider is not there. The whole design principle of the 6M is looking better all the time. Okay, everyone grab a flashlight and go open the throttle plate wide open and lets see how many lucky winners we have. LOL!!! :wink:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've got some pictures showing some of the differences between 5M and 6M intakes. If anyone is interested, email me direct and I will reply with a zip file.

The 6M does have a divider of some sort between the left and right half of the intake plenum. The 5M seems to have some sort of cylindrical piece protruding down from the top of the plenum. I'm not sure what sort of function it could provide.

AFAIK, the runners are the same size - I remember someone on here was saying that they had heard that the 6M's might be bigger.

·
Registered
178 Posts
darnit, the more and more I hear about the intake side of the 6m's being better the more I hate that the shop I had mine put in put the 5m stuff back on and didn't give me the 6m stuff. I know I'm in cali so it's illegal but when I move I'd like to have put that stuff back on without the EGR equipment.

Anyone know if you can get this stuff from a 6m seperately or should I try to hit up that shop for one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Voyn238 said:
The 6M does have a divider of some sort between the left and right half of the intake plenum. The 5M seems to have some sort of cylindrical piece protruding down from the top of the plenum. I'm not sure what sort of function it could provide.
I think that cylindrical thing is for the EGR. That long channel fills up with carbon and is a pain to clean out. Would make sense why it is missing on the 6M manifold!

·
Registered
272 Posts
>>
I think that cylindrical thing is for the EGR. That long channel fills up with carbon and is a pain to clean out. Would make sense why it is missing on the 6M manifold!
>>

Not so sure... It's directly opposite the cold start injector, on the other side of where it says "EFI" on the plenum. Unless there's some tube that runs across the top of the plenum, it doesn't look like it can connect to anything. Email me if you wanna see the pics...

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Josh is correct! The round cylindrical opening is the EGR passage outlet. The long passageway is cast into the plenum. There's an allen head plug on the back end of the plenum that you can remove to gain access to the EGR passageway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts