Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all the rims now are about 20+ years old and pretty dull looking, especially when compared to aftermarket ones.. but I was wondering, before I spend 4 hours cleaning my rims, if I do a really good job on them, will they ever be shiny again? Or did they look dull even when they were stock, cuz I've never really seen any stock mkii rims with that shine newer ones have? Did they just come with that dull low profile look or what?

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
Brandon, check the FAQ on CS.com and Dean Anderson's web page I believe he did a write up on cleaning up the OEM wheels :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah, Deans Site is awsome

Yeah, I'm using Dean's site as a reference, great site. Tought me allot. I think sanding the lines out will make it even shinier. The first two wheels you see here have just been sanded w/ low grit, and still shiny.

And heres a shot I took of a stock 14x7 w/nothing done to it yet. My before PIC :) But a nice finished pick is on Deans site as well. And I think he sanded the lines. Much better PICs too :D

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Danny,

It's mostly based on when the rims were made for which year.

All of the rims have what's called a satin finish. It's kindasorta a dull, but somewhat shiny finish. They were not really super shiny, like a polished finish.

And as you may have heard, some of the earlier rims tend to lose their shine a bit sooner. The earlier rims (82 - 83) did not have a clearcoat finish on them. The latter 84+ rins were clearcoated, thus they retained their shine a little bit better. At least until the clearcoat started coming off (usually due to abrasive wheel cleaners that have too much acids).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey thanks Chris

Thanks for that info Chris, Yeah, I remember reading something like that, but wasn't clear about it until now :D All my rims I believe came from different MK2s. I'm gonna look and see if any have no lines. Oh, and I got em from James Sanchez too :D He gave me 6 actually but 1's too beat up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts