Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, when signalling for a right turn the blinker works, but is amost at twice the normal speed. The left turn blinker is fine, this is only on the right. It's not a serios problem (light works), but it's mildly annoying.
Any suggestions on how to hunt down and fix the problem? :?
Thanks very much,
KeithD

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think that means that one of your blinker bulbs is burnt out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
bulb out

accually, it has something to do with resistance, and the capasitiors in the turn signal circut fire off too quickly when there arnt enough bulbs to flow through... or something... I learned something about it once, but its quite possible the signals are purposely wired that way. but yeah, I don't even know why said anything... because suprafeind is right: one of you're bulbs is out

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It could also be the actual unit the controls the flasher. When they start to go it makes the thing flash faster too.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This happened to me bulb was fine and it only did it when wet-broken wire to the signal light. :eek: Start simple though check the bulbs. :)

-Wil

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
that would be very rare Bob, I don't think I've ever seen a car that didn't do this when one of the bulbs goes out. You can always spot a car with turn signal out from the outside too cause the one that is still working blinks just as fast in the dash.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
SupraFiend said:
that would be very rare Bob, I don't think I've ever seen a car that didn't do this when one of the bulbs goes out. You can always spot a car with turn signal out from the outside too cause the one that is still working blinks just as fast in the dash.
Oh, I know... but I figured I would throw it out there, in case he got done checking his bulbs and there wasn't one out... Never hurts to have too much info when your trying to trouble shoot :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for their advice, I would have felt like an idiot if it was just a blown bulb. Went to check today, and the car is dead.
No juice whatsoever. And this battery is two weeks old. The car sat for a whole week since the last time I drove it; shouldn't kill a new battery.
Didn't jump it; but tried a few times to "pushstart" it (gotta love manual transmissions) but no dice. Wouldn't fire up at all.
Having it towed to the shop tomorrow who put the new battery in 2 weeks ago.
Hoping to have a nice drive today; no such luck.
Any ideas what would drain the battery in a week? (I did not leave the lights/radio/etc) on; I'm 100% sure of that).

(Have to change my signature at the bottom to "not running") :(

·
Registered
272 Posts
You probably just need to change your blinker fluid:

http://www.kalecoauto.com/fluids.htm

But seriously, it probably is just a bulb blown out. It happened to me just the other week....

The dead battery may or may not have anything to do with the blinkers, it's hard to say. If you have a partial short in a wire somewhere, it can drain the current slowly enough to not blow a fuse, but enough so that over a week's time, the battery is totally flat... Even if you manage to jump start the car, don't drive it without changing the battery - the work of charging it up all the way from zero is likely to blast your alternator to smithereens.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
why did you replace your battery in the first place, cause it was dead? I'm guessing its actually your alternator thats dead. The easy way to tell is just run the car and check your voltage, if its above 13, should be about 14, then your alternator is charging. If its only spitting out 12 volts or less then your alternator is toast. I'd check your old battery, it still may be good. But what ever you do be sure to charge up your dead batteries before you try and start the car or you will kill your alternator trying to charge them from that low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced the old battery because the car basically sat all winter, leaking oil into the street. When I had the oil leak fixed, they dropped in a new battery (the last one was about 4 years old). Car ran fine, but I had the "quick blinker". My garage jumped the car yesterday, checked the "new" battery, and found out it had a bad cell. Replaced the "new" battery, and everything is fine. He checked the alternator and siad it was putting out 16 volts (I think? can't remember what the exact number was) but he said the alternator was in good shape. I'll keep checking the volts, hopefully I just got a bad battery. He said these things happen.

I did get a quart of the blinker fluid, but can't find where to fill the reserve tank. There's no mention of blinker fluid in the manual either. Did I mention this car has a manual transmission? Would that make a difference?

Thanks,
KeithD

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
KeithD said:
I did get a quart of the blinker fluid, but can't find where to fill the reserve tank. There's no mention of blinker fluid in the manual either. Did I mention this car has a manual transmission? Would that make a difference?

Thanks,
KeithD
Of course :roll: You would need the manual blinker fluid :wink:
-Wil

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
if it is putting out 16 volts then your alternator is overcharging (bad regulator), which can also kill batteries. But if he said it was fine I'm sure it was 14 something. Now you just need to change that bulb, or add the blinker fluid to that black cap on the top of your engine, quickest way to recharge them blinkers :wink:

·
Registered
202 Posts
:rofl:
BLINKER FLUID!
Does it happen to work on headlights :?: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked all the directional signals today, and they're working fine. No more quick blinker. My mechanic must have added the blinker fluid when he replaced the battery and not told me. When you find a mechanic like this guy, you don't let him go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts