Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
do any of you guys know how much a resonator will decrease sound by? My new exhaust system is just too loud and the cops have warned me about it. I already have one resonator instead of a cat but i'm thinking about putting another one in. Thanks guys.

Marc

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow u already have one and still loud. I know your pain man about two weeks ago i got ticketet for a loud ass exhaust. Know i have to have my car inspected by DNV or someone. I two have a similar question and am considering of slapping a resonator. Are resonators leagal.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Of course they're legal; most cars come with a resonator from the factory!

Marc: speak to an exhaust shop, they will be able to advise you on the best way to make your car acceptably quiet.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
As long as the cat. converter is still in place you can run any resonator you want and be emissions legal. What muffler are you using?? The reason I ask is because since you already have a resonator installed, you might want to look into trying a different muffler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a ractive. Kinda rice burner I know but I really like the tone. And the lack of backpressure is good. I had a flowmaster but I like the looks of the tip better on the ractive. I can't believe how loud it is though. So i need another resonator I think. It looks so good though.

Thanks guys.

Marc

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
What muffler are you using? Some rice-cannon?
I have one of those Rice-cannon, grapefruit shooters, fart cans, coffee cans what ever you want to call them, mine is only loud at high rpm's :twisted:

·
Registered
120 Posts
sprocket_ml said:
Hey guys,
do any of you guys know how much a resonator will decrease sound by? My new exhaust system is just too loud and the cops have warned me about it. I already have one resonator instead of a cat but i'm thinking about putting another one in. Thanks guys.

Marc
I'll thrown in my .02

Loud exhaust can be caused by the muffler or the tip (depending on the tip). My nephew has a 84 celica and it's loud as hell. When I asked what he did to make is so loud he said that all he did was change the tip. My car gets louder the more you press into it. At the lower rpms or when driving "nicely" the sound is there but it's not loud. I get the looks but not with people pulling back because of the volume. Why put on a resonator when you problem is probably caused by the muffler or the tip? My tip is a small bell shape (which I love) but if you look close the exhaust pipe comes all the way to the end of the opening. So it has the looks but doesn't change the sound. You might talk to a good muffler shop about your problem. I lost the exhaust pipe on my old muffler and I loved the tone, but it was way too loud. I told the shop I wanted to hear that tone, but not the volume. The suggested the Ravin, and they were right....

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Okay, here's my 2 cents, I just did my exhaust and I wanted more sound but not loud set off alarms kinda loud. I found a guy selling resonators on ebay for about 20 bucks and with the muffler I bought the sound is only about 10 dec. louder than my old set up but flows much better. BTW, picked up about 1.5lbs. of boost with the new system. 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
When I did my exhaust I had them custom bend a 2.5in pipe from the y pipe to the mufler with a common turbo mufler (no smog rules here). It was LOUD almost as loud as when the original mufler fell off. Anyhow adding a res did a LOT to fix that problem and now it is only loud under acceleration. I also got a lot of flow out of this setup enough that I decided not to get the header I had originally planned for. Too much flow and you will kill you torque.

·
Registered
120 Posts
suprathepeg said:
When I did my exhaust I had them custom bend a 2.5in pipe from the y pipe to the mufler with a common turbo mufler (no smog rules here). It was LOUD almost as loud as when the original mufler fell off. Anyhow adding a res did a LOT to fix that problem and now it is only loud under acceleration. I also got a lot of flow out of this setup enough that I decided not to get the header I had originally planned for. Too much flow and you will kill you torque.
Actually, a header will not kill your torque, it adds to it. The Thorley would be perfect for this setup. (1 1/5 pipes off the manifold) However I am waiting on possible new long pipe header.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts