Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys with 85's, hey that kinda rhymes...woo im tired, but anyways i was wondering if anyone has this same problem, whenever i try to lock my doors they always automatically unlock themsleves and the only way to over come it is to hold down the lock, i've checked all the microswitches in the door i think, i haven't tested the control box yet, but i was looking through the diagram and trying to figure where to check, i have the theft deterrant system and power locks, it had an aftermarket alarm in it, i removed it and rewired all the hack jobs they did and no change, is there a switch letting it know that the key is in the ignition or what? any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lock portion by the handle, if i use the switch or even just press down the lock itself it will unlock right away, so i hold down the lever by the door handle on the inside.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Do both sides unlock? I'm having the same problem.
Here is some advise i got...
SupraFiend said:
.......Your problem with the doors unlocking themselves is caused by the main lock relay in the DS door, its almost right under the lock and window switch console panel. These things seem to get sensitive to vibrations with age. If you knock hard it will activate. What happens when you use the power locks is the vibration from the locks be snapped shut or open in the door triggers the relay to activate. In some cases mine would do this several times before it would stop, as each time it activates it causes another vibration. Slamming the door would often activate it too, which can put you in all sorts of awkard positions. Keep a spare key in your wallet till you get it fixed. You should just need to replace that relay and all should be good. Finding one at a junkyard can be hit and miss as it is a common problem....
Let me know if you find a soulution to your problem as I'm fairly sure it's the same as mine.

Thanks

will

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
TTT

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Is the Key in the Ignition??
My 85, when turned off will not let me electronicly lock the doors if the key is still in the ignition.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it doesn't make a difference if the doors shut, open, key in or key out, i figured our cars wouldn't let you lock the doors with the keys in the ignition but my car had an aftermarket alarm system and i removed it and reconnected all the wires but still it unlocks it self always.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
So now the question is how do we fix it?!?!

will (sick of holding down driver side lock then relocking pasanger door)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
TTT

This is still bugging me... :x

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
anyone?

ttt

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Supra_Toy,

Have you followed what Suprafiend said in that quote you put in your message?

The usual fix is to remove your door panels, and look at all the connections on the door lock solenoid. Usually, one of them is broken/loose/corroded/ready-to-fall-off. If you fix that bad connection, the mysterious door locking/unlocking goes away.

If it turns out that the problem is not there, my next place to check would be the alarm relay above the rear seat armrest on the drivers side (just behind the drivers side door, get to it by removing the armrest and the panel that it attaches to) Very common problem is water leaking down under the molding at the bottom of the quarter windows, then those relays there get corroded and don't work properly anymore.

I hope one of these ends up being the problem, as they are both fairly easy to check and fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i haven't had more time to check it out but those are the first things i will be checking next, i've been so busy working 50 hrs a week and attending classes at college....lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts