Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone I'm pritty new to the forum community and the drving one as well (Got my license in Feb.) so I was hoping to get your help. I got an 85' Supra from my father as a gift and we have compleatly rebuit the entire car from top to bottom and it is like brand new. I've fallen in love with the car and now it is all mine so I am very interested in bringing the car to its full potential but am unsure as how to go about doing so. I have looked at rabidchimp.com and saw their turbo kit and my eyes lit up :shock: . I want eveyones opinion on what I should do about my thirst for power and whether the answer is with rabidchimp or somewhere else. Thanks a lot eveyone.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the club. Your Dad has good taste in cars and he taught you well :D Before you increase power to much you should think about Brakes and Suspension upgrades. Increased power is last on the build list not first(Gotta stop if your gonna go :wink: )
and with the MK2s tail happy attitude it is a good idea to get some experience with driving before going turbo...we wouldnt want to lose you :) When I got my license I found a deserted parking lot and learned how to skid the car and regain control. It is a big help knowing what the car feels like at the edge and how to bring it back so if it happens in real driving you will react instead of having to think about it (this has saved me at least twice while those around me paniced and locked up the brakes). I did it in winter so it was easy to skid and didnt hurt the car. Since its summer maybe wait for a rainy day and try it. Make sure you dont get caught though...the police might not understand :wink:

Enjoy
-Wil

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
You lucky devil. A Supra for your 16th and a father who helps you work on it! Adding a turbo is a great modification but consider your own situation before you embark. Boost is an addiction. Once you're hooked it takes more and more of it to give you that adrenalin 'high' each time. As you turn up the boost, you begin to approach and surpass the limits of the stock fuel and ignition systems. A slight blip in the fuel delivery or timing while under boost can result in a catastrophic engine failure to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. Do you have the willpower to keep boost at conservative levels or do you have the wherewithall to accept the associated risks? Will this be your only car or only means of transportation to and from school, college, work, etc or can you get along with occasional periods of downtime associated with boost-related repairs? What about smog legality in your state? As long as you can deal with these issues, then go for it. You'll learn alot from the experience and have fun doing it. But if any of these issues are going to be a problem, perhaps getting in the way of school (which is first priority), then you should probably stick with what we sometimes call basic performance upgrades: intake, header, & exhaust which should be good for a combined 12-15hp increase without sacrificing Toyota reliability. Aaron is a trusted member who can assemble a kit for you or just get the plumbing from him and scrounge your local junkyards for 3rd gen turbo supra parts. Get and read cover to cover a copy of 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell which describes the theory behind add-on turbocharging. Make sure your tires and brakes are in tip-top shape because its not good to go fast if you can't stop fast. What a lucky teenager! I wish I'd had a Supra when I was 16 but they were too brand new then. Good luck.

Phil D.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Good points Will. I'd add the local SCCA autocross. Great way to learn how your car handles in a safe, controlled environ without getting a ticket.

Phil

dohc82 said:
and with the MK2s tail happy attitude it is a good idea to get some experience with driving before going turbo...we wouldnt want to lose you :) When I got my license I found a deserted parking lot and learned how to skid the car and regain control. <snip> Make sure you dont get caught though...the police might not understand :wink:

Enjoy
-Wil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the tips guys. The tail end isn't too much of a problem anymore because I have already upgraded the shocks and springs on the car as well as replacing the old tires with Pilot XGT Z4s (The same tires on the Viper GTS). Also, durring the winter I was practicing skids in a parking lot but I'm interested in the autocross that was mentioned. If anyone has any info about it I would be very thankful if they could post it :D . I'm gonna also look for that "Maximum Boost" book and hopefuly it can answer my questions. Can't wait to start workin on the car thanks a bunch.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Glad we could help...playing in parking lots is fun. The book is very helpful. Definetely recommend.

-Wil

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
welcome to the group

as for the parking lot thing, go to a mall or something and ask the property manager if you can practice driving after hours.

most of them are reasonable, if approached in a mature fashion, and its better to have permission than be charged with trespassing :)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
dogstar said:
welcome to the group

as for the parking lot thing, go to a mall or something and ask the property manager if you can practice driving after hours.

most of them are reasonable, if approached in a mature fashion, and its better to have permission than be charged with trespassing :)

uhh yea go up to the property manager and tell them in a very mature manner "can I practice my 180's, 360's, drifting or power sliding on your parking lot :puppydog:" (make sure you have those puppy dog eyes) :wink: :lol: :D

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hey, if the Prop. manager is female, and you have any game what-so-ever, puppydog eyes can go a LONG way ;) Just don't abuse them on the same woman or they can loose effectiveness.. :wink:

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Or you could just go skid around in a parking lot with a safety crew and no worries about getting in trouble, plus find out how fast you are as a driver as compared to other drivers. (AutoCross)

Viva La Autox!

--BillyM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts