Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, been having some server issues, and not to mention finals time! Well the website is up in preliminary mode, please bear with me on the upload speed, I'm waiting on my DSL server connection upgrade. Yes, this is on a home based webserver =) Oh yeah..sorry for the big pics, I'm just trying to get the pics to you guys ASAP, so no time for editting and thumbnails. I will soon though.

Here's the downlow on the intake stuff. After what seemed like hours of TIG welding....we came out with this "Frankenstein" looking prototype, lolz. Boy does it sounds sweet! And it performs too! 7.7rwhp gain, and 6.6ft/lbs of torque! We made this power with the V2 Hyper Filter; when we tried the Dragon Filter it lost one hp, I think this is due to the size of the filter. I'll try the bigger one later. We didn't have time to make the cold-air box yet, but I promise that will come very soon! We also have a few more tricks up our sleeve to increase power from the intake, so this may be implemented on the production piece. We dynoed a Civic the same day with our new technology and gained 5 rwhp just from that! So stay tuned for more updates.

As far as a production piece goes, I kind of hit a small rut. I talked to the manufacturing shop, and they told me I need a 50 piece minimum order. Now normally with other intakes, I wouldn't worry, but I'm not sure about just how many of you MK2 owners are serious about buying these. My poll didn't show too many people looking into this, maybe because I had no pics or dyno numbers yet? Well I'm gonna really need some feedback on this one before I drop a load on getting these made. For those who are serious, a fully refundable deposit is a welcome idea.

I have many more products in the hanging design stages guys, like a cat-back 2.5" exhaust, AFM->MAF plug and play conversion, and suspension bars galore. But in order for all this to happen, I need good support from the people I'm doing this for. So speak up and let me know just how serious you are about seeing this stuff made! :wink:

http://racetekengineering.com

·
Registered
793 Posts
What would the final cost be for intake and/or box?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The final cost of the intake would be $185 plus shipping for the pipe, couplings, filter, and all necessary hoses and clamps. You will have a choice of a polished pipe, or powdercoated. I will choose a few primary colors to offer, custom colors will cost a little extra. The V2 filters are available in blue, yellow, red, and black. The Dragon filters have the same colors, and allow you to mix and match the filter pad color with the filter cage. The hoses are available in red, blue, yellow, and silver. The couplings add black to that list.

Please note that this intake pricing is for the current design you see on my website. If the production piece includes the newer technology, or if we offer a second edition, the price will be different.

The air box pricing has not been determined yet, as we have not made a prototype yet. I will have an update on this as soon as things change.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
you'll probably have alot more takers on the airbox. I know I want one

-Andrew

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well I'll try to get the box done in a few weeks, busy with finals right now. There are some issues I will need to iron out, like making sure the box works for both the stock intake piping and the current intake piece I have posted. I'm not sure how it will work for those who use the Rabid Chimp pipe, anyone want to volunteer their pipe for fitment? The box will most likely enclose the AFM within, and take up most of that corner. I could make it smaller, but the interior volume makes a big diff in hp, the more volume, the better the gains. When we did the intake pipe, I took a good look at the space available, and I'm not too sure that a cold air hose would really fit on there, and have room to go down. I'll try, but no promises. There is another option, but not a pretty one. It involves cutting a hole below the filter, and mounting a small plate to attach the hose. Not definite, but I will work with what feedback I get. If thermal lining is requested, I can do that at an additional cost for materials.

I hope to get more responses from you guys about these products, I hate to have to scrap the intake project because of lack of interest. My projects and products are fueled by the MK2 community's need for quality products, but if the customer base is not there, then I can't continue with this.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Its just something that has already been done. You would be better of making new previously unavaliable products. Stuff like camber plates, rear camber adjustment, adjustable swaybars, streetable cams, adjustable shocks, 2JZ cam gears that are drilled for our cams. Things like the MAF conversion just doesnt have that much of an interest, it has already been done for an affordable price and yet theres just not that many people in on the group buy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Doesn't ground control make camber plates for the RA celica that fit the MKII?

I do agree on Wes about making things that are not currently available or have been done in the recent past. The MKII crowd isn't that big so once the need has been met there will be little demand afterwards.

I am interested in the cold air box idea. I have the rabid chimp pipe and didn't have to relocate the AFM any so I don't see why if the box doesn't extend much past the AFM that it would be any different.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Î'm not sure that they will work. The bolt holes are different between the 2 cars and I think I heard that the stut tops are actually different sizes. I e-mailed Cyberauto about it but never got a response.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
Eight-Six said:
I would thing AE86 plates would work since the struts are soo similar
AE86s use a different mount pattern than the Mk2, I already thought of that one. So far I haven't seen a car that use the same mount pattern yet. You could alway use another strut mount and redrill the holes. Somebody posted a link before to Kings in Australia that sold Mk2 camber plates.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what you're telling me is that because one particular product is made by one current company, that makes it the default to buy? :roll: Now I don't know how long you have been in this industry, but I'm sure that you are well aware that no two products are the same. Magazines and manufacturers spend countless hours and dollars to test and compare products from various vendors to show the difference of each one, which one made more power, and which one was an overall better product.

All it takes is one good look at our fellow brethen, the MK4 crowd. There are dozens of turbo kits available now for the MK4, many that use similar turbos. Now under the theory that "it's been done, don't bother", do you really feel these products are all equal? Do they make the same power? Are they of the same quality? What about pricing, what's the bang-for-the-buck factor?

I showed in a previous post, that these intakes beat out other designs in power making, and I am confident that it is true for the MK2 intakes as well. Show me a dyno comparison of the Rabid Chimp intake, tell he how much power you guys really made with it. If you can prove me wrong that my intake is different, and makes more power, then I'll let this subject drop and move onto the next product. If you can't, then tell me, would you still want only one choice when you go to buy any product for your car? What if only the PaceSetter header was available, would you Doug Thorley not to bother making their header? See how many people have a DT header, I really don't think so. Oh, and BTW...on that note...yes...i do plan to come out with a better header than the DT piece.

I took the initiative to start making products for the MK2 when no other major company would. I applaud those who have brought us new products on an individual basis. I have access to major manufacturing companies to make quality products, and I already vowed to take the initiative of dyno testing all my products, because I know you guys are all about results and final products. There's a reason why we MK2 owners have so little choice in aftermarket products, it's because we don't support the aftermarket, and they don't see a reason for investment. If you guys want more products, this attitude needs to change. Want wheels, cams, suspension, etc? If I see there's enthusiasm in new products, I'll be sure to make it happen. :wink:

For those of you who missed the intake dyno comparison I posted before, here you go:

http:/www.tprmag.com/issue/1/sr-results.shtml

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Racetek82 said:
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay, been having some server issues, and not to mention finals time!

As far as a production piece goes, I kind of hit a small rut. I talked to the manufacturing shop, and they told me I need a 50 piece minimum order. Now normally with other intakes, I wouldn't worry, but I'm not sure about just how many of you MK2 owners are serious about buying these. My poll didn't show too many people looking into this, maybe because I had no pics or dyno numbers yet? Well I'm gonna really need some feedback on this one before I drop a load on getting these made. For those who are serious, a fully refundable deposit is a welcome idea.

http://racetekengineering.com

I know what you mean about finals man :mad:

so what your saying is that the intake pipe wouldnt be made usless you have 50 :shock: buyers

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Ray, to be honest, if making money is what you plan to do you'd be better off making parts for a different car. For the most part, the parts we do have available for the mk2 have been made by enthusiasts in very small quanities because noone else would. The people who make these parts do so to fill a gap in whats available for our car, they rarely make their money back. For instance, I had a mk2 composite hood made for the mk2. I had 18 people signed up at one point, only 8 of those actually came through with the coin (not including myself). Thats how small the mk2 market is. Thats great that your intake might make a couple more hp then the Aaron Garney unit, but now your competing with an incredibly small market. You ever ask him how many he's sold? I bet its around 50. So in the next year instead of him selling another 20 of them, he'll sell 10 and you'll sell 10, and neither of you make any money. How does this help the mk2 community? Now don't get me wrong here, we all really really appreciate what your doing, but Wes and company have a point, theres other stuff that hasen't been done yet. Sure theres a bunch of turbo kits for the mk4 out there, and yes only about 5000 mk4s were sold in NA compared to something like 225,000 mk2s, but I guarentee you theres more mk4 owners out there sinking cash into modding their cars then mk2 owners, and they have alot more cash to burn. Basicaly, we take what we can get, and right now theres not that much to get. And we all hope to see alot more come out of your ventures, we just don't want you to be dissappointed with the outcome.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If I remember correctly the RabidChimp pipe made almost a 10hp gain. Also you cant really compare the dyno's on 2 differently modded cars on 2 different dyno machines on 2 different days, theres just way to many variables to come up with a conclusion as to which is better. If you want to buy a RC intake and then prove that yours is better or vice versa then you may have some customers.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ray, I don't think anyone is saying that one thing is the default or not... I think its simply a matter of market saturation. Because there are such limited sources of performance parts for the mk II, the parts that ARE out there, everyone gets. I agree that everyone (including myself) REALLY appreciates the effort your putting out, but I think you need to match the supply to the demand... and in a market as small as the mk II community, demand isn't big enough for 2 suppliers of the same thing, even if the newer one is better than the other. Sadly, its a simple law of economics.

I for one, am EAGERLY awaiting your work on the rear coil over set-up.. and depending on when it is released, I think I will have the first kit you have (aside from yours and any other "test vehicles" that you fit with them).

Keep up the great work Ray...Its guys like you that help make this community better!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
id love to see a better header come out for the mkII.

i dont want to see you feeling your being forced out of the market, or that we all favor the rabidchimp pipe, but i doubt that the people who already own a RC pipe will sell theirs and buy yours, even though it might make more power.
its just economics, out of the few hundred people on here, itd be hard to get 50 together to buy intakes at any one time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not to sound antagonistic, but if I read your page right, the "before" setup still included the stock airfilter and stock airbox, and thenswapped over to a cone filter with your intake pipe. If you really want to see what performance gain the pipe makes, dyno the pipe with the same filter before and after. I would have to guess that removal of the stock airbox and filter alone provided half of the improvements your dyno session recorded.

Your pipe does indeed look very nice, but I believe in this case, it really is a matter of market saturation. I just think your efforts would be better spent in other areas that have not yet been covered. I'd love to see a header become available that tops the Thorleys!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have to agree with many of the previous comments. I for one, would be second in line behind Bob if you could produce a reasonable priced coil-over setup for the rear that would address the camber problems those of use with Eibachs and ST springs have.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, no worries, I'll juss put the intake aside for when I can afford to stock them for the hell of it. LOLZ If all goes well, I will be doing the cold air box prototype tomorrow, and will have pics up on the site by this weekend. I can't do the dyno this week though, so that will have to wait until probably next week. I will do my best to have this box include a port on the side for the cold/ram air hose, and to use all stock mounting holes. This piece will be made of aluminum, and comes standard as an unfinished piece. If anyone wants it polished or powder coated, let me know. I will calculate the costs this weekend for all options. I seriously hope you guys will give me some good feedback on this one.

For those of you wondering about the suspension setup, I'm still in search of some rear shocks that are adjustable. I looked into Christian's research on the AE86 rear shocks, but I haven't been able to find any available adjustable ones. I'm trying to stick to KONI shocks, and I need one's that DO NOT have the adjusting wheel on the side of the shock, it needs to be on the top. The reason for this is because the wheel will interfere with the bottom sleeve. I plan to use the All Trac front strut inserts, but I have to call KONI to confirm that they are still available. This kit will include shocks/strut inserts, springs, all necessary sleeves and brackets, hardware, and strut spacers for the shorter inserts. Optional pieces will include RCA's of various thicknesses, and camber plates. Rear camber kits may or may not be sold, it does require cutting of the trailing arm mounts and some other mods; I might just teach you guys how to do it yourselves. More info very soon!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts