Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys...after a bit of a hiatus from this forum (school, work, etc)....I have pics of the front coilover kit. It's been pretty much done for a while now, I just have to work out one more thing and maybe switch to a slightly longer spring. I'll test these on my 85 rust bucket in the next few weeks..and if all goes well will start taking orders immediately. Pricing will be $175 retail for the front pair, but discounts will be given to the first 10 people. Also, the rear setup is delayed for a while, I've been a little tied up on spare time. I promise to get my butt to work on it though! Sorry if the pics are a little blurry, they were taken a bit hastily.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
spiffy... they look really nice from what i can see

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Keeping the stock bottom spring rest... Interesting. I haven't seen it done this way as of yet. I am going to question the level of adjustability. The reason people go coilovers is to be able to raise and lower the car without swapping springs....

--BillyM

·
Registered
29 Posts
can you give us a guestimate date on completion of the rears? :D my entire project has come to a halt until i cna get some rear suspension in there. can't put in a cage until i know what the rear suspenssion is going to modify back there. i have to say though, it looks awesome! keep us posted.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I'm interested in the front and rear setup, but I need more info. Stuff like spring/shock rates available, dimensions of certian parts and ride height for the car (range at which the car ride height can be adjusted to).

Please let us know when the parts are available and when we can order.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
Keeping the stock bottom spring rest... Interesting. I haven't seen it done this way as of yet. I am going to question the level of adjustability. The reason people go coilovers is to be able to raise and lower the car without swapping springs....

--BillyM
That's the way the Ground Control Coilovers work. The threaded sleeve sits on the stock spring perch. The adjustability is there without swapping springs. The spring is shorter than the stock spring. At the highest setting on my coilovers the front is lowered about 1.5" with over 2" of lowering left.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does look similar to Ground Controls-which I have. How similar or different are they? As far as I can see it looks like yours have more coils.

Let us know how the rears go..camber problems if any. I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Rays seem to be just like the GC's, but with some improvements. 1st of all their CHEAPER. I also notice the use of helper springs. Very nice. Also, the collar seems to come the right length for use on a spring perch. The GC collars need to be cut.

Ray: did you make them just the right length to fit snugly between the spring perch and the strut insert retaining collar (when tightened down)? or just a hair smaller? What spring type are you using? Can you pick your rates? I'm assuming you're using a 6" main spring?

Christian

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can cut the stock spring perch if you like, but it makes not diff. Honestly, the reason why I chose not to extend the sleeve lower than that, is that there's not enough room to lower the springs much farther than what's seen here. The spacing between the tire/wheel and strut housing is very narrow once you go past the stock spring perch. Alot of work for very little gain. If you want it to go lower, just let me know, I can offer shorter springs. But beware the lack of strut travel at extreme low ride heights.

Springs shown in the pics are 600lbs units, I'll list off the available rates when I finals things.

Strut options right now are limited to what is already available. I am still trying to work out some shorter stroke inserts, and make them more openly available, but one step at a time. =)

These differ from GC's in a few ways. I use aluminum top caps rather than the rubber ones GC uses. Second is that my units use dual rings on the perch..instead of the single ones on GC, and finally, I add the use of helper springs, to give a much smoother ride, while still allowing stiff and short springs.

The perch sits just below the retaining collar. I had to grind my collar, but that's because I didn't want to open up my stock struts (what a mess!). You wont have to grind it if you are installing new inserts, which I highly recommend. Yes the main spring is a 6" piece, and you can pick your own rates from what I have available.

BTW....Christian..I need someone to do a little road testing with these, think you might be up to it? PM me and let me know.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
So you are recommending not re-using our existing front struts? I currently have a set of Bilsteins with the Eibach springs...

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Ray

I plan on building complete new strut assemblies. What I want is a suspension that is not progressive rate (springs). I don't care about having a tight ride all the time.

I also want to be able to use the rims I have on the car now or rims with the exact same width and back spacing. There is only a few (less than 3mm) mm of space between the strut and the wheel/tyre. No rubbing at all and I get to fit the biggest rim I could on the front, 8.5".

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
82Spearco said:
So you are recommending not re-using our existing front struts? I currently have a set of Bilsteins with the Eibach springs...
I think hes recomending that you don't use stock inserts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I meant don't reuse the the STOCK struts. Make sure you upgrade your strut inserts!

rsdeo..I suggest taking measurements of what your needs are, and whether you want the helper spring or not. Then let me know, and I can most likely get you all the parts you need for a good price. Sound good? PM me when you're ready for it all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
wow. nice work. :thumbup: i'm interested in front and rear sets; hopefully a few months into next year i'll have the funds :pray: :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts