Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i dont' know if any of you autocross but i am interested in putting some racing tires on our stock rims i have an extra set, does anyone know what is a good tire to buy at a decent price that would fit our rims? Thanks.....

·
Super Moderator
8,364 Posts
Kuhmo and Hoosier both make 225/50/14 IIRC. Kuhmos are going to be quite a bit cheaper and they can also be used on the street in a limited fashion. You should be able to get either from the Tire Rack.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks a lot for info!!!! this should put my right up there in the top of my class....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Toyo has the RA-1 in 225/50R14. Will last longer than the Hoosiers and aren't as greasy feeling. Hoosiers will stick better. BUt you have to know how to drive Hoosiers. Depending on the course conditions, the Hoosiers chunk easier. To get the best out of Hoosiers.. deflate the air out of them and fill them up with Nitrogen (not NOS).

Since you're a neophyte, talk to some of the more experienced guys and see if they have useable throwaways in the size you need.

Sometimes you can get a decent of tires from the top competitors just because they either don't like the tires or have run the "usefulness" out of the tire. Their use-life and a beginner's use-life are considerable different. We have PCA guys changing tires out just because they ran them on 3 tracks. Still have plenty of rubber on the tire and can be bought dirt cheap., i.e., one of the guys runs 245/40R17s and gets rid of them mid-summer for a new set.

Having a set of spare race wheels to mount them on helps.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Get the newer Kumho Ecsta V700, not the older Kumho Victoracer.
The Ecsta has a newer compound formulation and a bit lighter too.
If possible look for a tread compound code on side of tire of 6A. This indicates latest formula. When the Ecsta came out a few years ago, it had the same rubber compound as the Victoracer, labeled 8A, redone sometime about a year ago, should be 6A now. The Toyo is a good tire, lasts longer on the street if you are driving lots on the street too but ultimate grip for racing not as good as Kumho Ecsta. Don't expect much more than 5-7k miles on these type of tires.

Don L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts