Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put a nonpower steering set up in my 82 supra, was wondering if any body new if the nonpower steering rack and pinion out of a plain 82 celica would work, or does any body have any other ideas? thanks for any help
-alan

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Yes, it does.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
but the easiest way to go non PS is simply remove your PS pump, fill your lines with fluid, and hook the in and out line together so that the fluid can recirculate. Common trick on many toyotas and it seems pretty reliable. I've tried this with my 86 and it seems to work quite well. The thing about non ps racks is quite often the steering ratio is actually slower then that of the ps racks as you get more leverage with a slower ratio, and you need more leverage to turn a non ps rack.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The manual rack from a celica will fit,but!!! You need the rubber bushings for the manual rack,the u-clamps that hold the rack in place,and the shaft from the column to the rack for it all to go together.
I have a manual rack in the garage,have compared the 2,and don't have all the necesary parts,though have at least figured out what is needed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
it will not fit. the part where the rack mounts on to the engine cradle are closer together on the celica. and the distance between the column and the rack is different too.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i took off my pump and connected the lines together, i haven't had a problem, i might put the p/s back in though. I was told that the u-joints in the steering column might not be able to handle the extra stress.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
they probably want to remove the PS pump and belt, so gain back 1-2 horsepower, and save a couple pounds...

not worth it in my opinion, unless you always drive on the highway, where you need less steering effort.
in the city... gimme power steering :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree - the sterring effort would become very heavy. I've take out the PS in my project RX7 (goal is less than 1900 lbs with 180+ hp at the whells) - the steering effort is actually quite high and it helps to have a larger diameter steering wheel. If your car is for the street and you want to use fairly heafty rubber you might want to keep the PS.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
steering effort is almost no change i on my car, in parking lots you need 2 hands but its still not hard. i always drove with 2 hands before it 2 so i didn't have to start changing my ways. over 35ish kms i could use one hand unless i was doing sharp turns.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
:imwithst:

ditto, I was shocked at how easy the car was to drive. I've driven the odd car that was much lighter and never came with power steering and it was much harder. I think its a combination of our huge ass steering wheels and slow as hell steering ratio that makes it so easy to turn the wheel at low speeds in the mk2. If you think its too hard because you've tried driving your supe with the PS belt disconected then you have no idea, loop the ps lines like I suggested and it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm 6'8" and I can actually drive the MKII comfortably with the PS belt off.
so I think just switching the lines over will work just great. I'm gonna try
it and see how it works. I also want the added weight savings, and when
installing a 7M-GTE, or 1JZ-GTE, it will make for a cleaner engine install.

Jeff
[email protected]
1985 "L" Type

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have not had power steering in my car for probably 5 years...I hate power steering. takes all the feel out of the steering. either way mine is just fine to drive without power steering and I even put a smaller steering wheel in it (grant GT) and it's still easy to steer. I have to use 2 hands in parking lots as well but other then that it's easy as hell and I can even autoX very well without PS.

eric
6MGTE

artm said:
I agree - the sterring effort would become very heavy. I've take out the PS in my project RX7 (goal is less than 1900 lbs with 180+ hp at the whells) - the steering effort is actually quite high and it helps to have a larger diameter steering wheel. If your car is for the street and you want to use fairly heafty rubber you might want to keep the PS.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
hmmmm. The car I had done this too, looped the lines and all. Well I had to disconect the lines and reconect them for an unrelated reason. Anways, after topping up the fluid in the lines and reconnecting them, then lightening the car (carbon hood, ditched AC, stripped interior) and driving around in the car with some decent rubber, it was hell trying to turn at lowish speeds. I had to put the ps back on for the autox I entered with that car. Now I'm wondering if maybe it was the fluid I added to the lines that made the difference, or that I just never drove the car hard the first time. The lines were pretty empty when I disconected them. Also did this to a friends car, and with the lines completly topped up and sealed his was pretty much undrivable at low speeds too. hmmmmm

·
Registered
24 Posts
i love my power steering in my soarer(same car as ma61 bar panels basically) but mine has too much feeling through the wheel in my oppinion
it sometimes annoys me and makes me think theres something wrong with my car...
i can feel every which way the wheels turn even the slightest bit when they hit little ditches etc

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
that probably has more to do with your low pro tires and alignment settings that anything else

·
Registered
406 Posts
Ive been running without the P/S belt for about 2 months now and actually quite like it! Yea, it really sucks if you're used to driving with 1 hand or on the cell phone all the time, but otherwise its really nice!

Im going to try the "looping the lines" trick and see if that makes it any easier for auto-x...

I also noticed that simply going from a 205 winter tire to a 225 BFG the steering effort increased dramaticly!

·
Registered
29 Posts
after driving my friends 91 mr2 without powersteering, i've also been thinking about taking out the ps belt, it's much more responsive, and i really don't mind the harder turning at lower speeds, gives ya a nice workout ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts