Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what aftermarket radios fit in the stock location and not stick out? I tried to install a factory toyota am/fm/cass/cd player in and it sticks out about an inch so I couldn't bolt it down. The radio only goes so far in because there is what looks like the floor vents in the way. Do you guys cut a hole in that vent to get the radio to go in all the way? I checked around the internet and there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket radio shallow enough to fit in there without modifications. Thanks in advance. I've got an 84 P-Type with the am/fm/cass/eq by the way.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Are you trying to fit the head unit in the upper half or lower half of the opening? I know that the cd player that came in my car only fits on the bottom. I keep the nonfunctional eq in the top to fill the space.
The space is supposed to be a double din opening.
Also check that there are no wires bunched up when you try to slide the new unit in.
I just purchased an AIWA cd player and I am hoping it will fit with out to much trouble.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory radio I got is a two piece. One is a radio/cass player, the other is the CD player. They are both the same depth. At first I thought it was the wires bunched up behing the radio, but I took off the wiring harness and is still wouldn't go in all the way. The back of the radio is up against the bracket (?) and it still sticks out about an inch or so. What type or brand of CD player do you have in your car right now?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have an Emerson (came with the car).
The stock set up is a radio/tape player and a 7 band EQ. No stock CD player. I am going to th wreckers to find a single din pocket to fill the extra space.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a pioneer single-din (deh-p5200) in mine. It's pretty big, but it's got all sorts of fun features that make wrestling it in worth it. It actually rubs the vent part just a tad (not when screwed in, tho).

The hard part is fitting all the wires around so they don't interfere with the edges of the unit. My lower passenger side bracket mount is actually bent a tad (guy who installed a cheap sony years ago did it I bet) but it doesn't seem to hurt. Might make it better....

The bottom din space is the little pocket peice, and everything fits just fine. I'm betting that most cd-players would fit just fine in the top din... but I doubt much would fit in the lower. Anyone try putting those cool flip-up screens in? I bet those are pretty long in the back.

Raven
'84 Blue P-Type

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Pioneer, Clarion and many other brands fit the top, and you get a plastic aftermarket Toyota pocket to fit the bottom. They bolt to the stock bracket as a unit the same size as the stock radio. You wouldn't know it was not a factory installation unless you are familiar with the car. Just get a head unit that isn't much deeper than the stock unit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put my Pioneer DEH-P330 head unit in the bottom opening and it fit just fine. It wouldn't fit the top because it has a huge heatsink on the back of the unit and it hangs up on the A/C linkage.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
SupraDOHC said:
I put my Pioneer DEH-P330 head unit in the bottom opening and it fit just fine. It wouldn't fit the top because it has a huge heatsink on the back of the unit and it hangs up on the A/C linkage.
I have just run into the same problem with my 180watt AIWA. I guess it goes in the bottom...although it can sit at up to a 30degree angle so...maybe it will fit. We will see.

-Wil

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i use a kenwood and tried for hours to fit it in the top, but unfortunatly had to settle and keep it on the bottom and put a slot for cd's in the top....if i ever get some time i'll get figured out...

·
Registered
147 Posts
You have to be careful. Not all stereo's will fit in the top location...My Pioneer one wouldn't fit in the top slot because of some metal box in the back...not sure what it does...but it was preventing the stereo from fitting...instead I just put it in the bottom slot and it fit perfectly...I just put my other Pioneer tape deck in the top location to fill in the space rather than having a big hole there...

So yeah, just be careful...a lot of the new decks are quite long and if you have that metal box in the back of the slot like I do, then they wont fit....shame really...I was planing on buying a new Double Din Stereo deck... :(

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what brands fit. In my case my old Pioneer DEH P-2000 fit in the top my new JVC KD SX980 will only fit in the bottom. This is with 90 degree RCA cables, I think it fit ok in the top untill I hooked up the cables.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depending on how you intend to set up your stereo system.

1 - Run external amplifiers for all speakers. (front, Rear, Sub)
2 - Run your speakers on Stereo power. (Front, Rear only) It is almost completely necessary to run an external amp for Subs. They need more power than the majority of full sound speakers.

If your doing 1. Then look for a radio that doesn't have an internal amp. Your going to pay more for this than you would for one with an amp. It simply isn't a common setup.
A radio without the amp should generally be shorter in depth than one that has an internal amp.
Internal amped radios should always have a decent heat sink on the back which adds to the depth of the radio dictating where it will install.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Zombiepup said:
Internal amped radios should always have a decent heat sink on the back which adds to the depth of the radio dictating where it will install.
Ya, this is why my CD deck wouldn't fit in the top slot...because it has an internal amp (50x4) the depth of the unit is larger than the tape deck that used to be in there...

Thing is, almost all of the new modern decks come with built in amps that power 4 speakers...and they have that extra depth...so just keep that in mind...

My deck is the Pioneer DEH-P4350. It's around 1.5 years old now and I'm pretty sure all new model Pioneer decks will have the same dimentions...

:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts