Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a new one on me. I noticed that one of my '85s has about six or seven inches of water sloshing around under the jack storage area. My other '85 and the '84 do not. We've been going through a drought this spring and summer but we did get some heavy rains for a couple days about three weeks ago which helped the corn a lot but I assume it somehow filled up the ass-end of one of my Supras but not the others.

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Dave Hatch area?? I would check where the double spoiler meets the body/window towards the bottom of the hatch, especially if the car sits level during the rain...

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
Best way to always find these is to remove the trim in the area, climb in the trunk, and have someone hose the car down and see what is going on. Suspects would be quarter window, sunroof drains disconnected, maybe the marker lights or quarter mouldings.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
The seems under the hatch seal will do that, water hits the seam and makes it right down into the hatch area. Mine were showing signs of rust, wire wheeled the sealer, dripped in some rust converter, and sealed over it before painting and putting the rubber seal back on top. The proper fix is to drill out the spot welds and peel that panel back to truly get in and get all the rust out though.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Just remembered i took some pics of the process. Mine wasn't too bad, was lucky enough to catch it early... In the pic below you can see the rust on the seam right in the middle of the pic, the hatch seal covers that area.

My rust wasn't even to that first spot weld, so i felt fine peeling the metal apart and stopping the rust in it's tracks.Bent it back and resealed it, more pics in the linked thread. It aint show worthy or seaworthy, but it keeps the rain out now. Your problem may not be this, but def something to check for on any car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts