Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here setup there MKII for Rallying? Just wondering what changes were made to setup etc. It's something I've long wanted to get into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,271 Posts
that's the plan for my '82, but I'm only doing TSD rallies, so prep is minimal. we are basically doing rust prevention, rebuilding the engine, and that's all.

for stage rallies, the supra is less-than-desireable, because it likes to put itself sideways a little too much on gravel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be starting out in TSD's for sure. Harder to find a co-pilot then anything it seems. What do you mean pulls itself sideways too much? Just doesn't slide itself nicely around the corners?

Isn't it more competing in a car I love rather then finding the perfect vehicle for it. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Village said:
Isn't it more competing in a car I love rather then finding the perfect vehicle for it. =)
Amen to that! I've been told so many times now that my Supra just isn't a good vehicle for road racing that I'm tired of hearing it! Sure, I can spend 4 grand on a fully prepped Honda, go out there and win races, but what fun is that? I may spend 3 times that amount on my Supra to do what I want it to do, but that's okay, it IS my hobby, and I LIKE my Supra! Plus, I get to be DIFFERENT than others. When was the last time you saw a MK II out on a full road course doing just as well as the mazdas, hondas and even a few Porsches???

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
Amen to that! I've been told so many times now that my Supra just isn't a good vehicle for road racing that I'm tired of hearing it! Sure, I can spend 4 grand on a fully prepped Honda, go out there and win races, but what fun is that? I may spend 3 times that amount on my Supra to do what I want it to do, but that's okay, it IS my hobby, and I LIKE my Supra! Plus, I get to be DIFFERENT than others. When was the last time you saw a MK II out on a full road course doing just as well as the mazdas, hondas and even a few Porsches???

Chris
Soon, I hope! I got to rebuild the engine and were on break for the summer heat/runnoffs. Next race is in october. I'll have to wait till them to see what it can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,271 Posts
Village said:
I'll be starting out in TSD's for sure. Harder to find a co-pilot then anything it seems. What do you mean pulls itself sideways too much? Just doesn't slide itself nicely around the corners?

Isn't it more competing in a car I love rather then finding the perfect vehicle for it. =)
what i'm saying is that when it costs you 3 or 4 hundred dollars to enter a stage rally, you want to be competitive. that's an expensive sport to lose because of your vehicle of choice.

as for TSD's, you don't want to slide around corners at all. perfect traction at all times to maintain odometer accuracy and speed is necessary to win. for this, I think the supra (if you keep your foot off the throttle) is a good choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
You can always put a bike odometer on the front wheels then the back wheelspin won't affect you too much.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top