Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Briggs and Stratton

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday night I was drivin home and I turned onto Harrison st. I shifted into second, and then all of a sudden i heard a pop and then my foot hit the floor along with the gas pedal. Then my supra just rolled and started dieing. I had to push it up a hill for 2 blocks to get it home. Yes I had help pushin the beast.

I checked it out the next day and i figured it had to do with the throtle cables. I looked and hes there was one part that poped off. It was the wire or rod that moves the throtle open. I snapped it back on, and then started it up. It chugged like no tommorow, had a nasty start. I thought it could be flooded, cuz it rained like a motha this morning. Turns out its not flooded, I dont know what the hell it is.

Im think that its possible that a valve got screwed up and possibly came out and is now screwin the piston, the head, cyliner, everything. It sounds like a lawnmower that shakes uncontrollably when i start it, and it wants to die after a few seconds. So Im thinkin I might need a new motor. Any coments on what the problem could be?

For the new motor if i get one, I will get a 7mgte or the 2jz. The 7mgte is only the motor, no tranny and i can get shipped for like $950. The 2jz is $3,800 shipped, complete swap. Can anyone find cheaper? And if Im doin the 2jz, I was wondering if anyone knew about how much wireing crap im gunna have to deal with, and if I need a new rear end or anything.

I appriciate any help! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
73 Posts
http://www.venus-auto.com/inventory/toyota/engine.htm

You can get a full front clip for cheaper from there, but you might search for a place closer to you.

a 2JZ out of a jzx make car is a direct drop in (I think, anyone can confirm this) so I would definitely go 2JZ without a doubt. There's a full front clip for a 2JZ on that page I just linked for $2,200 in the monthly specials section. Get IT! :D and be sure to document everything, I wanna do this swap as well hehe.

As far as wiring goes, I believe you'll have to lengthen the wiring harness about 3 ft. Or, if you drop some money on an ECU which has the length of a rhd vehicle you wouldn't have to do this. And no rear end work is required, unless you get the 6sp manual, which you'll need to get a much lower ratio lsd.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard that JZX body style 1JZs are direct drop ins.....? It seems like a jzx with a 2jz would be a direct drop in, but I don't know, never tried hehe.

·
3,283 Posts
1 and 2JZ will fit, yes... straight drop-in, no.

7M's are a strraight drop-in (re-locate motor mounts and wiring) and off you go.

Norbie's site is http://www.norbie.net

good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem fixed, for now

:mad: I was pissed when i found out that the only thing that the shop found wrong with my car was that the # 4 plug was not in the motor, and that some of the plug wires were loose. I dont know what the hell happened. Im kinda worried about the plug bein gone, how can it just disapear? Im hopin that the loud pop noise wasent the plug exploding.......but i dont know.

And i dont know how the plug wires could have all of a sudden just came off the plugs....what could have happened? any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Who have you pissed off lately? :?:
Who changed your plugs last time? I have seen plugs coming loose and popping out over time. Rare. That's one reason I do it myself and dont trust it to these teenage "mechanics" at the local lube and tunes. The same one that forget to tighten the drain plug or cross-thread them.
BTW, I hope you're not really considering the engine swap you mentioned. Missing #4 sparkplug should have been readily apparent. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but you asked for thoughts and I think you need to become more familiar with your car and what makes it run before you would attempt a heart transplant.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
4SFED said:
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but you asked for thoughts and I think you need to become more familiar with your car and what makes it run before you would attempt a heart transplant.
:werd: :clap: welll said

xrsupra85, if you do go with the swap will you be doing it yourself or will someone else will be doing it for you?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Where to begin?

1. JZ engines are not a direct drop in for a Mk2 Supra. It doesn't matter which car it came from.

2. "JZX" cars are essentially Cressidas. A 1JZ from a JZX81 Chaser is a direct swap into an MX83 Cressida, but NOT a Supra.

3. Chasers never came with a 2JZ-GTE. Only the JZA80 Supra and JZS147/160 Aristo was blessed with that engine.

4. If 2JZ engine swaps were easy, everyone would be doing it. I'm only aware of 3 successful conversions to date.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4SFED said:
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything but you asked for thoughts and I think you need to become more familiar with your car and what makes it run before you would attempt a heart transplant.
:clap: Thanks! You know you are right.....I did ask for thoughts, not opinions, :jerkit: thanks anyways. And I didnt take my car somewhere to get the plugs and wires done, I did them, but last time I changed my oil, I had my friend "take care of some things for me." He just got back in town and wants to do more with cars, so I told him just to check everything out, like fluids and plugs and timeing......stuff he should know by now, considering his dad is a friggin mechanic and hes allways right there helpin him.

But I guess when he said he was done, I didnt know he had made any adjustments......what an ass! I feel pretty bad about it too, bein that I didnt even bother to check his work, but I thought I could trust him enough not to screw my car up......But then again, it was his brother who cracked my thermostat housing last time I replaced it.....must run in the family.

Anyways, its all taken care of, and If I do get the motor swap within the next few months, I myself would not be doing it. I am going to College in Tenn. in the summer of 2004. NADC: Nashvile Auto Diesel College. I prolly wont do the swap till Im out of those classes, and have a degree. Then I would do the swap myself, and yes I would be able to do it myself after taking those courses, believe me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts