Are you interested in a MK2 Carbon Fiber Hatch @ $799 + Shipping

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Holy cow. I definitely need a hatch to match my new CF hood!! Count me in! (The double spoiler would be awesome too).

And like others have said: George--your efforts are incredible and never cease to amaze me. THANK YOU for all you have done and continue to do for the MKII community!

-Dan

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok...so we have 35 but again...not to be pessimistic I doubt that means we have 35 people who are able/willing to pay but I guess there is only one way to find out. I'm not sure if the timing is right now due to holidays but figured if you ever wanted something like this then it's probably the only time it will be attempted so I do hope that those who voted were serious.

I have the hatch sent there with the 85 spoiler (no cost on that yet) and will get back to everyone as soon as I can. In the mean time keep voting up if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Ha ha, nice rant George, love it. Seriously, people are complaining about $800 hatches? Hoods are the same money, and are far simpler to produce. Didn't Toyota sell new hatch sheet metal for $1500 each when they were still available? Sounds like a deal to me.

Let me just point out that drilling into carbon fiber isn't as horror-inducing as one might think. I have no issues with getting an undrilled hatch and putting my stock double spoiler setup on it. There are plenty of articles on how-to without breaking stuff. We drilled into my hood for the hood latches, smothered the edges in a plastic weld, and the hood is perfectly fine still- no cracks.
Yes, but getting the holes lined up exactly like OEM perfectly is a huge PITA. If they can make a jig for it so its perfect every time, definitely go that route. Of course there will have to be a 85\86 spoiler jig with all 13 holes (don't forget about the 86's and their third brake light wire hole!) and one just for the 82-84s (luckily the 85/86s need those holes too). Of course some will opt for no spoiler or holes at all too.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I've been on the fence about this, not because of any doubts of the product, but mostly whether I can make use of a CF hatch. Not allowed in my autocross hobby, but I decided it's too cool an item to not buy.

count me in.... 36

however this comes out, big thanks to George for the effort!

Don L.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Not allowed in my autocross hobby
Don L.

What!?!?!?!?!? :SM130 (1):

Come on, really!?! I really need a hatch too. Why would a hood be legal but a hatch isn't!? Sometimes the SCCA rules don't make a lot of sense.:eekfacepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I haven't read the rules in a year or so, but I recall something about aftermarket hatches and trunk lids ok, as long as no glass. Maybe the rule will get modified, or my interpretation is off. Need to read again. Perhaps if glass is not allowed, plexiglass is ok (even better).

Anyway, CF hatch is a rare item, can't miss it.

Don L.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I would prefer a plexi rear glass anyway too. Guess I better hit the rule book as well.

What's next George, cf front fenders and door skins!?! Love it, in for at least one hatch...maybe two depending on details.

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ha ha, nice rant George, love it. Seriously, people are complaining about $800 hatches? Hoods are the same money, and are far simpler to produce. Didn't Toyota sell new hatch sheet metal for $1500 each when they were still available? Sounds like a deal to me.
Seamus;

it wasn't meant to be rant, I just want people to understand the true costs of getting a shipment of FG Hatches from Australia and the associated risks involved. I was actually shocked at Advan's price of the hatch compared to the Top Secret hood but when Advan set the minimum quantity to 35 it all made more sense.

Yes, but getting the holes lined up exactly like OEM perfectly is a huge PITA. If they can make a jig for it so its perfect every time, definitely go that route. Of course there will have to be a 85\86 spoiler jig with all 13 holes (don't forget about the 86's and their third brake light wire hole!) and one just for the 82-84s (luckily the 85/86s need those holes too). Of course some will opt for no spoiler or holes at all too.

In terms of the drilling options from now I honestly can't say what options there will be and jigs can be made available. If it increases the costs for everyone involved I'm not sure it's a route I"ll want to go, if it increases costs only for those with 85/86's and Advan is willing to do the work that's fine with me. The hatch that is being used is actually from an 86 car so as far as that goes we have the right parts. Thankfully I already had the hatch glass seals made as Advan said they will NOT do this unless that part was available for purchase.

I would prefer a plexi rear glass anyway too. Guess I better hit the rule book as well.

What's next George, cf front fenders and door skins!?! Love it, in for at least one hatch...maybe two depending on details.
I've already talked to a company about making a rear plex or lexan glass, if the hatch gb is going to go through and there is enough interest I can try to pursue this option but Ideally it depends on interest as it won't be for everyone.

What's next? Years ago a local (Toronto) company used to make a MK3 Carbon Fiber Windshield cowl and I sold quite a bit of them, I'd love to have them made for the MK2 but again...depends on interest. Not sure how much interest we can generate in fenders and door skins. I guess as always it depends on good/bad we don on this buy.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Seamus;

it wasn't meant to be rant, I just want people to understand the true costs of getting a shipment of FG Hatches from Australia and the associated risks involved. I was actually shocked at Advan's price of the hatch compared to the Top Secret hood but when Advan set the minimum quantity to 35 it all made more sense.

In terms of the drilling options from now I honestly can't say what options there will be and jigs can be made available. If it increases the costs for everyone involved I'm not sure it's a route I"ll want to go, if it increases costs only for those with 85/86's and Advan is willing to do the work that's fine with me. The hatch that is being used is actually from an 86 car so as far as that goes we have the right parts. Thankfully I already had the hatch glass seals made as Advan said they will NOT do this unless that part was available for purchase.

I've already talked to a company about making a rear plex or lexan glass, if the hatch gb is going to go through and there is enough interest I can try to pursue this option but Ideally it depends on interest as it won't be for everyone.

What's next? Years ago a local (Toronto) company used to make a MK3 Carbon Fiber Windshield cowl and I sold quite a bit of them, I'd love to have them made for the MK2 but again...depends on interest. Not sure how much interest we can generate in fenders and door skins. I guess as always it depends on good/bad we don on this buy.

I'd be down for the wiper cowl

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seamus;

I voted for the regular hatch, but depending on the price for the double spoiler I'll be game for it also. Fund have been set aside currently for the hatch down payment. Any future group but parts too, door skins, fenders, etc...as long as they were split payment group buy setup.

Also would be interested in the lexan/plexi back glass.

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
I would think after the hatch, the next item would be the sunroof panel.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.