Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to get some real word experience for the raptor racing short shifter. anyone using it and how is it compared to the "shiftgasm" bushing kit? is it worth getting?
thanks

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You are trying to compare two very different things. One shortens the throw, the other improves the shift from sloppy to tight.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Ok yes you failed in the sense that they are two completely different things. If your stock shifter is ok for you but sloppy then the billyM kit will do you wonders as I have used it and it tightens the stock shifter up nicely. IF you want tighter more confident shifts and a shorter pattern\throw the s3 that Raptor Racing sells is an awesome choice. I use it in my race mk2 and frickin love the thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for clarifying the differences between the two. i have on order a set of the bushings and then thought while i was in there maybe i should upgrade. i do not like the long throw of the stock shifter and also do have some slop in it. so does this mean i should do both upgrades? does one negate the other if used together?
thanks

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
My kit does not shorten the throw, but rather fixes the damaged shift socket and tightens the shift feel by replacing the shift seat and knuckle bushings. The short shifter george sells moves the shift seat further from the socket, decreasing the distance the shifter knob needs to travel to actuate the next gear. Two completely different things, both have their place.

My suggestion, for those who have more than 1/4" of "play" when in 3rd gear, start by firming up your shift feel with a shiftgasm. It is a night/day change when going from a sloppy shifter to one fitted with my kit. At that point, if you still wish to get those shifts tighter and more exact, move to the short shifter (which still benefits greatly from the shiftgasm socket repair) and enjoy.

--billyM

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I would agree, go with the bushing kit first, and if still not happy, get the short sifter kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts