Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 85p has a terrible rattling noise at startup, yes it has oil, but after it is up to operating temp it is barely noticeable. I have heard it is possibly a lifter or wrist pin. I have run castol 20-50 in it since the rebuild about 80k miles ago. I am in NC with mild temps. Doug

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Cressida does the same thing when I start her. Goes away after about three minutes. The "lifters" are very small, and if your engine had alot of sludge in it, the lifters can get clogged up. Try some Marvel Mystery Oil with your next oil change, and pour some in the fuel tank as well. Its like Geritol for older cars, seems to quiet my car down some. The only way I know of to fix it for good is to replace the lifters, or take them out and soak them in some kerosene for a couple days to get out the old oil.
-Toddb

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Castrol has this amazing stuff. It is in a green bottle, says 100,000+ mile formula, or something to that extent. It has quieted my valvetrain clicking and where my car used to use 2qts per 3k miles, now uses under 1/2qt each 3k. It has also taken a smokey mitsubishi engine, and in two oilchanges fixed it completely, no more smoke. I personally would give that stuff a shot. I also run 20w50, the best stuff ever.

--BillyM

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys, I really like that "green stuff" by castrol idea

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think ive got the same problem... but im being "Lazy" (or stupid, depending how you look at it) and im just swapping heads between my two engines.

i figure when i get money, ill just send out one of the heads for some performance work and a rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts