Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals where can i buy rear cam seals from? I have been to advanced auto, napa and auto zone but they do not have a listing. the only listing they have is for the front. Are the front and rear the same? or do i have to get these from the toyota dealer.

thanks jeremy

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
- get 'em from the dealer - they're basically o-rings
- install them carefully -- use vaseline on the ring to keep it in place while you get the cover aligned
- don't overtorque the covers or you will HATE yourself

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have the torque specs for this? i do not have my manuals. They are in storage. I am unable to get to them for a while.

jeremy

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
foonanas said:
do you have the torque specs for this? i do not have my manuals. They are in storage. I am unable to get to them for a while.
There are no torque specs. It's a steel bolt going into an aluminum head, so it's REALLY easy to strip.

Just use a small ratchet (IIRC they're 10mm bolts) and get it 'finger tight' using the ratchet.

Err on the side of caution. Trust me on this one.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
1. Do all that Quick said :)
2.If you haven't already done it,liberaly apply wd-40 or equivalent.The be VERY careful while breaking these bolts loose.You don't want to be removing the towers to dril and tap :roll:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just replaced one of these on my 83 last month - I concur, be very careful, they are those tiny little cheap toyota 10mm bolts Im sure we are all familiar with. If you can't get the seals, I know my one buddy did it up with the old seal and a bit of gasket glue - might work, as there isnt a lot of pressure back there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i just wound out how not to tighten them to tight. yep i broke one off. had to drill it out but know i am good to go.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Rear cam seal? I havent looked at a 5m recently, but doesnt the rear of the cam housing have a bronze plate with 3 bolts that use a regular paper gasket?

Christian

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear cam seals

no it is an oring in there and those bolts break real easy. if ya ever got to do it be gentle.

·
Super Moderator
8,362 Posts
Those stupid o-rings are a PITA to change on the car. I would buy an extra o-ring or 2 if I were you, I think they are like $3 each.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Glad you were able to get in there to drill it out. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way how easy it is to break stuff like that. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts