Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how to adjust the camber only a little, cos it is wearing on the inside of the tyre too much, and I want to fix that.

Is it just a matter of adding a spacer? Or something else.

The car is not lowered or anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
pretty much, your rear springs are sagging. Replace them or put a spring isolater spacer in there. There is no rear camber adjustment on our cars

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spring isolater

Can they be bought pretty much anywhere? Are they specific to the car?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes they are specific to the car. IRS Celica's would have similar springs, however I expect the spring rates would be different. Call a few suspension shops in your area to see if they can get new ones for you, otherwise you can just go to a springworks and get new springs made. You'd have to find the factory spring specs first, but I'm sure they're available somewhere.

Note that while there is no factory rear camber adjustment on a Mk2 Supra, it is possible to adjust the camber by adjusting the height of the rear subframe relative to the body. There are 4 attachment points on the subframe, and they are insulated by large rubber bushes. If you cut these bushes down or remove them entirely, this will result in more positive camber. Conversely, you can add extra spacers in there to get more negative camber.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
theres an austrailian company that makes stock height springs, an american distributor just picked them up and was on this forum recently. Dobinson springs right?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Norbie said:
Note that while there is no factory rear camber adjustment on a Mk2 Supra, it is possible to adjust the camber by adjusting the height of the rear subframe relative to the body. There are 4 attachment points on the subframe, and they are insulated by large rubber bushes. If you cut these bushes down or remove them entirely, this will result in more positive camber. Conversely, you can add extra spacers in there to get more negative camber.

So...remove the bushings to straighten the wheel. and reduce tire wear-but increase ride harshness Is that right? Would this also lower the body height slightly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
dohc82 said:
Norbie said:

So...remove the bushings to straighten the wheel. and reduce tire wear-but increase ride harshness Is that right? Would this also lower the body height slightly?
I have done the above mod however you also need to cut down the bush inner sleeve. The cross-member on my car now sits up against the chassis and you get a lot more drive train noise through the car. It does not change ride height as the springs still go between the chassis and the rear trailing arms.

Because this is not a very nice solution I am now looking to modify the rear trailing arms to provide adjustable camber. We are looking at a similar setup to that use for the toe adjustment - except we will use the outer mounts for camber.

The rear cross-member (I have a spare) will be modified by extending the holes in the outer mounts down. We will then brace using a similar adjuster setup as used for the toe adjuster. Hopefully it should be enough to pull a couple of degrees moe positive (currently mine is at 2.5 degrees neg - 1/2 a degree I think would be nice).

Has anyone done a similar mod at all or done something different? This is the best way we can see to get the adjutable rear camber without rose-jointing the rear end.

·
Registered
360 Posts
pp said:
Because this is not a very nice solution I am now looking to modify the rear trailing arms to provide adjustable camber. We are looking at a similar setup to that use for the toe adjustment - except we will use the outer mounts for camber.

The rear cross-member (I have a spare) will be modified by extending the holes in the outer mounts down. We will then brace using a similar adjuster setup as used for the toe adjuster. Hopefully it should be enough to pull a couple of degrees moe positive (currently mine is at 2.5 degrees neg - 1/2 a degree I think would be nice).

Has anyone done a similar mod at all or done something different? This is the best way we can see to get the adjutable rear camber without rose-jointing the rear end.
Youre talking about "slotting" and reinforcing the mounting points for the arms correct?

The E30 BMW and Datsun 510 guys have been doing that for years so I dont see why it wouldnt work for us. I've always wanted to try that on a MKII, but my car is my only car and daily driver, so I cant afford the down time.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup - exactly the same as on dattos - that is where the idea came from (used to rally one back in 1987!!)

Nowadays you can buy an adjuster kit to weld on as well - so it is easier to get a big screw-driver in there to pull the arm down :) If it does not stay with simply bolting we will then change so that camber washers can be used.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been thinking about doing something similar but I've been trying to get my engine running correctly lately so I haven't had much time to play with it. If you get it working please write a how to as I also have about 2.5 deg negative camber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts