Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that pic in the members section of Damon Saul"s 1980 mk1 supra with that rear ducktail spoiler... and it makes the mk1 look less bubbly in my opinion.

I picked up a mint mk1 with a blown 5m-e (who cares... it needs a 5m-ge anyway) for 100 bucks so I want to know where I could get one of these wings in the future... probably future future cause I gotta get my 85 going first... but It really caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Never noticed that before actually. I don't even know if he has that Mk I anymore. I haven't seen it the last few times I've been to his Shop/house/garages. I know he has a Cream colored one that has the 7M-GTE in it... but thats definately not it. Looks like 5M in there too...

Hmm, I'll ask him the next time I talk to him, which should be this weekend.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm sure Chris's chime in here, but I believe that you need the entire rear hatch assembly. I am looking for one too, they are nearly impossible to find. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my plan is to basically make my mk1 look a little more like my mk2

Im thinking...
It may be cheaper and easyer to fabricate something similar with some sheet metal and fiberglass and just mold it right to the car so the hatch resembled the mk2's a little more. (maybe even a SUPRA decal? :D )
It wouldnt be that hard after having to literally remake most of the back end of my mk2.

But that picture really inspired me. I always wondered why the mk2 looked oddly sportier then the mk1. and paired with the agressive wing off of my 84 parts car. and the classy features of the mk1 (I love the tail lights and abundance of crome...) that 81 might look fast after all :D .

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
WHAT, HUH???? More peeps are looking for me again??? What a surprise!!!! :shock: :p

Rob, The spoiler (and the front airdam that you can barely see) on Damon Saul's 81 MKI, was part of the 81 only Performance Package option. Besides the front airdam & the rear spoiler, it also came w/ a upgraded suspension package (stiffer springs & shocks/struts, slightly bigger swaybars & Dunlop white letter tires), and according to Damon, the P-Package 5ME's had a slightly more aggressive cam profile.

In January of this year, I got the chance to look at a 2-tone Black/Silver 81 MKI that had the Performance Package option. A 1 owner car (the 80 something year old guy traded this in) & it only had 69K miles on it. One of our PacNW guys posted the ad on our PacNW mailing list, and I drove 50 miles north (to Burlington, WA) one day to go look at & test drive it at the Dodge/VW dealership that was selling it. Had it not been for the fact that I already purchased a Silver 81 7 months earlier that only had 48K miles on it, I would have snatched up this puppy in a heartbeat, this is one of my "dream garage" Supra's that I would like to have. :multi:

So yes, I got to look at this car up close & personal.... :D :D :D :D

Don't expect to find this spoiler in stock @ Toyota.. Am 99% sure that this is now a CLASS F item & if they do have one, they will charge you a arm & a leg. I've YET to find one in a junkyard as well, and if I do find one I'll be wanting these items, as well as all of the suspension upgrades.

Sam is correct in this case. As I explained to him earlier, the rear spoiler is mounted to a "normal looking" Celica hatch, and not a MKI Supra hatch. On the MKI hatch, you have that rectangular "beauty" panel that is below the hatch window & runs the width of the window. The rear spoiler will not fit on top of this "beauty panel", unfortunately.

The spoiler itself is made of fiberglass & it does add quite a bit of weight to the hatch. The hatch shocks are just "barely" holding the hatch up (from what I could feel when I lifted it up).

I did take pictures of this car, but I need to get them scanned in.

MKI's "DID" used to have a few aftermarket items available back in the day, but they are pretty much non existant at this point. Just getting new parts from the dealer can be just as interesting (does anyone have a NEW upper heater hose & a NEW AFM - intake resonator hose that they want to sell me???? These are both CLASS F (discontinued) items @ Toyota and the MKII parts are not interchangeable w/ them).

If you want to get a slightly better idea as to what the spoiler looks like, poke around on EBay & wait for someone who is selling a US Spec 1981 Celica/Celica Supra Sales Brochure. Page 2 has a rather LARGE picture of a 2-tone Black/Silver 81 MKI that shows the spoiler from the rear.

Hope this answers a few questions Rob.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been thinking about modifying something along the lines of an MKIII or even an MR2 spoiler and putting it on the back, I think with a bit of creativity something can be done and look pretty good too. But what I really want are those darn louvers! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Sam,

I actually had the same idea for a later mk III spoiler... I happen to have one also.. Maybe this weekend I'll tinker with it and see how it looks.. want some pics?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow thanks for the info CJSREDPRA the community here kicks @#$!

Id love to see some pictures of the mkIII wing on there bob... would definatley be on my "to see" list

·
Registered
351 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Sam,

I actually had the same idea for a later mk III spoiler... I happen to have one also.. Maybe this weekend I'll tinker with it and see how it looks.. want some pics?
Yeah Bob, that'd be awsome! The tail of my car is in need of attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok dont all try and kill me for this one... but what about a spoiler from 240-280z cars for the MKI? tons of those aftermarket and easy to find? come on.. nothing beats and old whale tail rear spoiler.... and sam could keep his lovers... sick puppy that is for that though....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey bob, did you ever fiddle with that mkIII spoiler? I was so stoked to see the pics but they never came... :(

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I did, only so far as sitting it on the back of my car... and realized that it looked rather ridiculous. Just didn't seem to match the car in the least, so I didn't even bother going any further... plus I have an 85 hatch I just bought so.. kinda kills my needs for a lower spoiler...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahhh, I agree, the 85 hatch has just enough wing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A lil off subject but on both my supra's o shave the 3rd brake light and the wing looks so much better. my friend has a 84 and he put the metal wing that usually comes off the roof and slid it downto the bottem of the hatch and that look pretty kool

1 - 14 of 14 Posts