Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know what the limits are for the drivetrain? I have a friend who is planning on putting a small block (probably chevy but still in the planning stages) into a 85 Supra and he was wondering if he would have to replace the rear end. I'm assuming yes, but couldn't find any information on various supra sites out there.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Search the yahoo list for posts from 'rwhp'... that's Russ Matusevich... I don't remember how many diffs he went through before IIRC going to a Ford rear end.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dragonfyre said:
Yup, the stocker can't take the torque put out by the small block, will turn your diff into a grenade after one launch.
...that depends on whether the tires break loose before the diff goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys happen to know of any sites where people have already done this? I've found a few for later supras but nothing too specific for any of them. (Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?) I did find http://www.sdsefi.com/features/dec00supra.htm which seems to have the most detail out of all the pages I've seen.

Edit: I checked out the mailing list and found some information there, anyone know of any other sources?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Racetek82 said:
Actually....Russ M. used a TRD rear diff....and a Powerglide tranny. His car remains IRS.
Er... IIRC that's not what he said on the MkII list. I'll see if I can find the posts.

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Yea, he never said he changed to a ford rear. Racetek has it right. :)

He did mention that he went through multiple 5sp trandmissions, where he had to switch to the Glide. :p

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
quick, when i broke my first diff, the tires had broken loose. i took off, then the tires broke loose around 4.8krpm and started spinning, when they grabbed again, BOOM!!!.and this was at the track on street tires. anyway, the car was running great and if i had to guess the tq at the wheels, given my mods and i was at 8psi and the very cold weather id say i was around 300lb/ft tq or more at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Wacky. I must have been on crack when I posted that then.

...either that or thinking of Craig Paisley or something. ;)

Yahoo groups has the biggest POS search mechanism. Here's the relevant post on the W58s:
Date: Fri Oct 26, 2001 4:41 pm
Subject: Re: [mk2] Re: r154 swap

About 15 w58's they start really going anywhere near 700hp. And are very
capabe at 600hp.

On the same subject my friends mk3 with the r154 would fail on several hard launches at 500hp

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 12:52 AM
Subject: Re: [mk2] Re: r154 swap

Russ, just to recap, how many W58's have you gone thru, approx. guess will do.

Also, at what power level did they fail on a regular basis, thanks!
Will

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
williamb82 said:
quick, when i broke my first diff, the tires had broken loose. i took off, then the tires broke loose around 4.8krpm and started spinning, when they grabbed again, BOOM!!!
Good point -- once they heat up enough to grab it would be a very sudden shock to the diff.

·
Registered
15,018 Posts
well, the way i see it, when i get the true trac installed, i wont have any problems as long as i dont "shock" it like that. thats why i want to get a 3.727 r&p. with the 4.3 and even the 4.1 it is to easy to break the tires loose in first and second gear. hopefully with all the rubber on the track and the 3.727 i wont break the tires loose like that in first. but then again, when i install the rest of the bolt ons and turn up the boost i prolly will. hopefully the 3.727 will suffice, ,otherwise im gonna have to go with the 3.42 like ophir. lol.
william

1 - 13 of 13 Posts