Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermarket rear hatch decal. It is a little smaller than the stock decal but should be sufficient. I was aligning it on my hatch tonight preparing to apply it when I noticed my original decal is still on the car. All the lettering is faded but the old decal is still there. Unfortunately my decal is not an exact duplicate so it won’t cover directly. I think I can probably live with it though. My question is whether the new decal will even stick if installed over the old one. The old one is not peeling and is in good shape except that all the coloring is gone and so I can see the paint underneath. It’s a California and Texas car so the plastic rear bumper and spoiler are pretty faded. I guess the rear of the car got a lot of sun over the years. Any info or experience is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! After further investigation I think someone painted over the original decal. I could be wrong about that. In any event, I cleaned the area and wiped it with alcohol and the decal stuck well. 👍
CC0D1C63-319E-45B5-B942-2950390399A8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Good job. Looks PERFECT!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
This is proper location!
The Super Deep Red had black lettering. Your white does look like it is coming out of the hatch!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yes, the super deep red had black lettering. The silver decal was in the back seat of the car when I bought it so I decided to give it a try. Worst case was I thought I’d mess it up then have to buy the black letters. It came out ok though so I might just keep it. The biggest pain was cutting a hole in the decal for the lock but we live and learn.
I have a black letter decal on order from eBay so we will see if I make the switch.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
It take 5 minutes to remove the lock to install the P.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I’ll try it next time. I looked at it and couldn’t quite see how to remove the lock so I cheated a little. 🙈

·
Premium Member
5,881 Posts
Remove lock,clean it well,apply decal,cut/file out hole,install lock cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts