Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone....

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having.

I own a black 82 L-Type, similar to one I owned in the 80's. In the spirit of getting this car back to what it used to be, I want to put the "stock" louvers ("Shadow by Toyota") by on it. I have the louvers and all the parts... and this car used to have the louvers on them. It has two holes, with screws, in each of the four installation locations (a set on each corner of the window).

Sounds great, right??

Problem is.... some of the screws will not come out. I can see the ones near the back (by removing the rear cabin light plate) and there is a round nut-like thing that it screws into. When I try to back out the screw, this thing just turns as well. I might be able to get this one out by clamping that nut-thing so it won't turn.... but I cannot access the inside at the top at all. That area appears to be inaccessable. So the screws just turns and turns.....

I have tried "lifting" on the screw with my finger-nail and a flat screwdriver to no avail.

Anyone have any experience with this.....? I thought about taking off the entire hatch to get a better look, but that may be beyond my limited abilities.

Thoughts??

Any help appreciated.....!!! :D

Doug
'82 L-Type

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i dont think the hatches are that tough to take off, although i havent had mine all the way off yet.

if you do remove it, have a helper give you a hand removing it from the car.

im not sure how its set up, but you might not be able to remove the screws without some way to access the nuts, unless you want to cut the screw heads off and have the nuts rattling around inside your hatch :?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I got those louvers on my 85 Celica. I really like them a lot. To get the old well nuts out. You will need to drill them out. Then go to the hardware store and buy some rubber well nuts. Get some new screws. To go into the new rubber well nuts too. The new rubber well nuts. Will tell you what size drill bit to use to install them. Because I don't think the old holes will be quite big enough. If they fit without drilling them bigger. Then your in business. It can be done on the car very easy.

The best thing to do is what I did. I removed the hatch. Because I wanted to take off the rear wiper. Which I never used. And it was only good for collecting leaves. To take the hatch off is very easy. Remove the bolts holding the hatch shocks. Remove the 4 bolts at the top. Then remove the wiring harness. And remove the hose for the rear washer nozzles.

I only used 4 well nuts to install my louvers. I only installed the well nuts on the top brackets. The bottom brackets. You can cut off the part of the bracket. That over laps on to the rear hatch. And then use 3M double sided taped. To fasten the bracket to the rear window. It will work fine like this. I also removed the rear wiper and motor. I had the holes welded up. And had the hatch painted. This is a much clean and nicer look. If you plan on keeping your Supra for a long time. I really suggest doing it right this way. It will make your hatch last much longer. And keep it looking really clean.

Pictures of my car are here>>> http://photos.yahoo.com/dynamic73

1 - 6 of 6 Posts