Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
i have a 1984 supra and i am interested in doing the restore on the car.
i have a few questions first off, should i cut it out and then replace it with a new panel. and if yes, where would i get the panel to do this. The side that i am interested in doing this is the passengers side. the other idea that i had was should i use bondo or something like that to use patch it up. And if there is rust when using the bondo should i cut it out and then once i do that what should i use to replace it. I am really up to anything, if you guys could throw some ideas my way it would be greatly appriated.
thank you

·
Registered
205 Posts
i am in the process of doing this right now almost finished i tought myself body work and its not that hard, quarter panels are 1000 canadian each and i dont think is worth it, if theres holes, cut out in squares with a grinder then get yourself some sheet metal and cut it to the same size as the hole and spot weld the top and then bend it slightly as you weld it from top to bottom then fill in the welds and grind it down, put a light coat of bondo avertop of it and use a long board to smooth it. surface rust sand down and use bondo again, if theres anything that is requiring alot to build up the body use fiberglass. i bought my car made of pure bondo and it all cracked so i figured id redo it properly and ive been working on it non stop since september every chance i get trying to get it the way i want, its finally coming together and doesnt look like a supra anymore, i think im going to post pics soon, shaved the moldings and fiberglassed the fenderflares to the fenders, im going to paint it pure white when im done and maybe shave the door handles. im going for a pimping effect!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
panel

You want to use a high quality short strand fiberglass filler. And then use a good glaze to smooth out the fiberglass filler. You don’t want to use bondo its sucks up water and shrinks. Its not fun having to redo a panel because of it. Me and my friend have done a lot of work to my 84 p-type. Welded in a donor lower rocker, inner and outer wheel well patches. Next we are sand blasting the shock towers. One of the keys is stopping the rust from coming back. And that means POR15 all rust spots. If the rust cant get oxygen it cant rust. And undercoating everything making sure all body seams are sealed. Because after 18 or 19 years the seam sealer shrinks and that’s how the water starts to get in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts