Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys: Removed the side panels and found the water leak,
Prob the same one the got the seat belt wet
it's comming from the right rear bottom of the glass and bottom front.
its a pain :mad:
:?: Is it hard to remove and clean and replace the seal or should I have someone do it (dont have a garage) so if I did it , it would need to be done fast.
Maybe I could just use silicone on the outside underneith the belt molding?
:roll: dont know

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Its pretty easy to replace that seal. You'll want a roll of the weatherstiping that goes around the window. I bought one from Toyota for like $20. You need to remove all the inside trim around the window (like duh! :) ). From there you'll see all the metal retainers that go around the window, unbolt these and get rid of them. To remove the window you can probably grab and pull it loose. If not you can slide a razor blade all around to cut the seal. Usually once you get it started it goes pretty easy. Once you get the window out you need to remove the old weatherstrip. You can scape most of it off the glass with a razor blade and finish up with some laquer thinner and a rag. On the inside just wipe it all off with some thinner and a rag. You are probably going to find some rust on the seam were it leaked, so it will be a good idea to be ready to fix that and paint it. After that you'll need to make sure to clean the adhering surface on the window and the body. Just run the tape around the window or the body and then join the two pieces together. Make sure that the gasket seat all the way around, so push out really good. Its shouldn't take you more than a few hours to do the job. Hardest part for me is getting in and out of the back seat :eek: . There is a good how to on this in the factory manual. HTH

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks "SilverMk2 8)" It's been raining here like nuts all last week and all this week comming up so I will have to wait till it stops.
I will follow your steps, So far I have removed mostly everything except the upper inside panels. Removed seat belt and washed it with detergent cause it stunk.
So I will attempt to remove the glass.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I thought the rear side glass was held in by normal black urethane sealant just like front windshields? I haven't looked that closely at any virgin glass in awhile but I remember that the replaced window on my old 82 was done with urethane. You can remove those side windows the same way you remove front windshields as well, by poking a hole in the seal and running a piece of wire through it then use it as a saw and cut around the entire window.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
On all of mine its like a foam weatherstrip maybe 1/4" thick and 3/8" wide sticky on both side. That is what Toyota sent me so I'd assume it is what is orginal as well.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
ive pulled plenty of glass. its the rubber in a can as i call it, you have to be careful and not loose the blocks on the window that kinda set it in place, and the couple of nuts that hole the belt moulding/window in place as well. i used a rasor knife and cut the seal away. i can acually replace a glass in under 1 hr when i have everything there for me :p

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Both side windows on my mk2 wre that ugly brown nasty foam weatherstripping. I think this is the stock setup. I went and got some of the grey adhesive foam weatherstripping from ACE hardware for a couple bucks. Works great.

Christian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts