Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at all the posts on here regarding he rear speakers. I couldn't come up with anything concrete. What I'm basically wanting to know is, what all would it take to fit 6x9's in the rear locations? Would I have to completely remove the brackets that are there now?

Yes, I'm new here. I've had an 87 turbo mkiii for a year now, and it's out of commission for the time being. Needed a daily driver, and ran across an 83 mkii for cheap, so I jumped on it. Now I need tunes! :D

The car has 5x7's in the rear already, but they are shoved in under the brackets, and not looking too good.

any help is grealtly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tattoo

87T
83 (??)

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
6 x 9"s won't fit in the rear stock locations. The stock speaker cover won't even go over them.

For something decent that will still fit ON TOP of the brackets, you'll need to go w/ 4 x 6" plate's. At least the speaker grille will still fit.

I am running 6 x 9" Alpine Triaxial's, but they are mounted on the backseat side panels. They are mounted on wood fibreboard & covered on top w/ Maroon/Burgandy carpet like covering, so that they blend in w/ my interior (I have the Maroon Leather in my 85). Hardly anyone notices them, which is exactly what I wanted.

I thought about installing a set of Sony 4 x 6" Co-Axial plates (that I found in a MKII in a junkyard) in the stock locations (and retain the Alpine 6 x 9"s in their present location) but then I realized that I would end up w/ TOO MUCH of a rear soundstage... Not what I want, soundwise.. :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pheonix Gold makes a really sweet sounding 4X6.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for a stereo setup, but sounds to me that if your asking about 6X9's your wanting more than just rear fill.

Check out JL Audio and Pheonix Gold. They have some very high quality equipment that may fit your needs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have 6x9's fitting 8) I had to make custom mounts and pretty it up, but for the 2 hours I put into them, it's worth it. Yes, the stock speaker covers do not fit over them, but I just used some carpet like you'd find on a sub box and covered the hole up nicely with it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
For something decent that will still fit ON TOP of the brackets, you'll need to go w/ 4 x 6" plate's. At least the speaker grille will still fit.
Chris,

I just stuck in a set of 4"x6"PLate mounted Cerwin Vegas' this passed weekend and the covers don't really fit right over them.The speakers themselves fit in the hole, but getting the side of the grate closest to the windo wto sit properly won't happen..

hth

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hrmmm...

It's possible that it might be the size of the Cerwin Vegas's????

The Sony's that I pulled out don't look like they've been cut down & the OE speaker covers were not binding anywhere, or ill fitting. Cover came off like normal

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It's entirely possible that it could be just the C/V's. I am by no means a car audio person... So maybe these are the exception. I would avoid these speakers anyway, as I lost alot of volume. My stereo has to be about 15% higher to get what seems to be the same volume...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Speakers

Crutchfield sells a plate that fits the stock location and a 5" round drops right in. I solved the bass response problem with a Kenwood self enclosed subwoofer with 2 5 1/2 inch and 100 watt. Mounted it on the right rear corner of the truck and tapped into the switched power at the antenna. The unit screwed right into the plywood base and provides a decent level of base which is controllable via a cabled control which I ran through the console. Sounds pretty decent and is plenty bass for a middle aged fart like me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ended up replacing the stock 5x7's with some Infinity Kappa 5 1/4". You will have to re-drill screw mounting holes in the stock brackets to make them fit. The factory covers fit over them fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ash1
Did the same exact thing. Also using Infinity Kappa 5 1/4. Drilled new holes. Although was only able to get two holes, but still secure. OE grill fits perfect.
Al

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 4x6 Infinity Kappa plates on the rear and there is no issue with the fit of the factory covers... by the way... the plates are just being held by tie-wraps... it works

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I just cut out the rear speaker bracket, made a 6x9 plate out of plywood and cut it to fit the hole. The factory speaker cover fit quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I also have 5 1/4s in the rear and 4s in the front. The 51/4s fit with out cutting.

-Wil

·
Registered
51 Posts
4x6's will fit nicely. In my opinon I would recommend installing a really good front stage setup first. mabye a 6 1/2" compnent set, building door or floor pos and mount the tweets at the base of the A pillars. You wont even feel the need for rear speakers and it will sound a ton better than just putting rear speakers in. It works on the theory of imaging and staging.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Supraloud84 said:
4x6's will fit nicely. In my opinon I would recommend installing a really good front stage setup first. mabye a 6 1/2" compnent set, building door or floor pos and mount the tweets at the base of the A pillars. You wont even feel the need for rear speakers and it will sound a ton better than just putting rear speakers in. It works on the theory of imaging and staging.
I agree. I've had two Supras with two different sound systems. My first had 3.5's in the front, 5.25's in the back and a 8" sub. It sounded pretty good but I could hear the loss in the mid-range. The bass was great though. In the other setup I have 4" in the front and 5.25" in the back with no sub. The mid-range is a lot better and if I ever add a sub to this I'm sure it will sound a whole lot better, but I still feel it will lack in the mid-range. I think if you're gonna get serious about audio in an mk2 you really do need to go with seperates in the front. A 6.5" woofer in the door panel, a 3.5" in the stock front speaker location and a tweater hanging off the A pillar or flush mounted right on the dash where it meets the A pillar (that last option is a lot of work, but would look and sound great).

As for the rears... Well, the 5.25" is probably the best you can do in terms of sound quality. I've heard that the oval shaped speakers have a muddy bass sound and are not recommended if sound quality is important. The important thing about installing a 5.25" speaker is to create some kind of baffle by creating a barrier around the speaker frame to keep the air from the top side of the driver from mixing with the air from the bottom side. In other words, you want to prevent the +ve sound waves from cancelling out with the -ve sound waves (this is what makes an open-air speaker sound very tinny without any bass at all). What I did was use some simple putty and gause and just sealed off the open spaces around the stock frame so that when I fitted the 5.25" speaker into it there were no gaps around the frame itself. I then took some pillow filler ($3 for a bag at WallMart) and stuffed the inside of the panels to limit the size of the baffles (the panel cavety where the speakers are located is a huge air pocket extending from the back of the car all the way to the doors and is anything but air-tight) . By doing this you also help prevent panel rattle as the pillow-filler presses against the plastic panels and holds them firm (I highly recommend pillow-filler even if you don't care about sound quality just for this reason alone). It also acts as a mild sound deadener. And oh yeah, I also installed real sound deadening material (Brown Bread, sorta like Dynamat) on the speaker frames to prevent any rattles caused by the speakers. I placed Brown Bread all over the car's sheet metal over the wheel wells to lower road noise and to help further reduce any vibrations caused by deep bass. All this adds up to a much quieter car with better sounding speakers. The same can be done in the front.

Hope this all makes sense, I realise I'm babbling here, but I figured someone might find it all useful.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In my opinon I would recommend installing a really good front stage setup first. mabye a 6 1/2" compnent set, building door or floor pos and mount the tweets at the base of the A pillars. You wont even feel the need for rear speakers and it will sound a ton better than just putting rear speakers in. It works on the theory of imaging and staging
I totally agree. I tried a few speaker setups on my mk2, and got it sounding nice. THen I removed the rear speaker brackets to try and modify for 6x9's. In the meantime I put Eclipse 6.5 components in door and a pillar. This was back in 99 I think. It sounded so good by themselves, that I have yet to put anything in the rear. :D

Christian

·
Registered
579 Posts
would 4x6 or 5 1/4 sound better in the rear?
i wanna fit it in as easy as possible so i dun think 5x7 would fit without a lot of modification

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have 4x6's three ways with a bass tube in back and I love the sound. BTW, in the front I have 3.5's in the stock location and 6.5 and tweets in the doors.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Muchbzy said:
I have 4x6's three ways with a bass tube in back and I love the sound. BTW, in the front I have 3.5's in the stock location and 6.5 and tweets in the doors.
any pictures of ur 6.5 in the doors?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts