Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of basically brand new stock springs( I think) from the local U-pull. Only 17.00Can :) They had some colored stripes on them-black springs with an orange stripe and two yellow stripes on each spring. Do these sound right? When I removed them at the wreckers I disconnected the lower shock bolt and the sway bar link(?) then lowered the control arm. The springs came right out but so did the axle from the diff. The TSRM says I have to unbolt the axle shafts from the diff. But I remember a post about installing the springs without removing the axles. Am I misremembering? And If I have to disconnect the axles then how hard is it to realign them? I have never removed them and am unsure about the connection. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
realigning the axles is pretty easy, if you take of the E-brake you can just put the outer end on and spin the tire until the inner end lines up. I changed my springs without removing the axles and it was a pain in the ass, but then again I didn't know how to do it so I was just sort of winging it. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Why was it a pain if all you have to do is spin the tire to get it to pop back in? Maybe I am missing something here? I am trying to get the best way to do this as I hope to be installing new springs/dampers before I leave for Charlotte.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
its easy man. jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands. then put the stock jack under the control arm near the hub. unbolt the shock from the control arm. then unbolt the sway bar end link, then unbolt the 4 nuts that hold the half shaft to the hub. then slowly lower the stock jack till you can pull the spring out. then put the new spring in and slowly raise the factory sissor jack makeing sure the spring lines up right. then when its high enough, bolt the halfshaft back to the hub, then bolt the swaybar endlink back to the control arm, then bolt the shock back on and your done. repeat on the other side. hth.
william

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there are no stub shafts or splines to re align on the axle shafts? Just the 4 bolts and thats it? Sounds OK :)

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
yup, just those 4 bolts and thats it.
william

·
Registered
247 Posts
It was a pain for me to do it because I didn't take the halfshafts off. I'm not sure why I didn't but I didn't, oh well, next time I will for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a question. How do the halfshafts come off I took the four bolts off and i couldnt even move it. I did all the other steps but iam not having any luck with the shafts. Thanks in advance for any advice
also do i have to get spring compressers i think it might make the job easy.

joe

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
hit it with a big hammer, it will seperate that way.

for the rear no spring compressor is required, it will only be a pita.

shock, sway bar, axle. thats all you need to unbolt, then push control arm down, easy as eating pie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts