Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, but when I went to replace my springs w/ the eibach pro kit a while back, I noticed that the upper and lower spring isolators in the rear were rather disintegrated. After putting on the springs I noticed I had pretty severe negative camber problems and the rear end appeared lower than it should be. Anyways, I read something in another post about placing a 1" spring spacer at the top of the rear springs to solve camber issues. This prompted me to go see what the local Toy dealerships prices were on new isolators. about $35 ea for the tops and 17 ea for the bottoms, so I impulse bought them. I'm hoping this might help with the camber issues. I'll post again once I have a chance to put them on the car.
-Tom

·
Registered
791 Posts
they do help, but not a whole lot. I too had torn bottom isolators and decided to buy new top and bottom isolators just to be done with the rear suspension. I still have a bit of negative camber in the back w/my Eibachs and will be trying to make some extra spacers out of some spacers from Pep Boys. There's a post about the aftermarket spacers somewhere under suspension, here in cs.com..

·
Registered
247 Posts
It seems to me that putting in spring spacer will work just fine to take care of the camber issue. The reason it will do this is because it will raise the car back up to stock height, or close to it. The springs aren't a structural member of the rear suspension so no matter what you do to them it won't help the camber issue. Height is the only thing that matters unless someone comes up with a different design for the lower control arm. If you do that and make one that's adjustable, please let me know, I'll buy a set.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
The isolators are pretty thin (maybe 1/8" thick where it matters) so they won't make a huge difference in camber. Its not like they are a inch thick or something and would make a huge difference in camber if they were missing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as predicted they didn't help much with the camber in the rear. The right side however seems to be sitting several inches higher than the left, so I'm thinking perhaps the suspension didn't settle when I lowered the jack. Anyways, since new isolators didn't fix it, I'm also having a friend machine a couple of 1" thick rings out of aluminum to use as spacers. :)
Whee...
-Tom

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My car is the same but opposite. It sits a couple inches higher on the drivers side. How can you tell if the suspension didnt setlle and how do you make it settle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I had done the brake discs, pads, and lines that day and hadn't bled the brake system... once I actually drove the car, it went back to normal height on both sides... go figure...

-tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts